large batches

fmsojka

Does anyone have any suggestions for making large batches of body butter? I am thinking a commercial mixer, but not sure about heating. I am thinking about 25 pound batches.

I would appreciate any help.

Are you talking the whipped butter, or the emulsified? I do ~2.5 gallons at a time, but I just use my stick blender and use a giant Rubbermaid container. That's the emulsified butter, so it's a different story that having to whip a whole lot o' shea. I would imagine you would need a commercial KA-type stand mixer for that - restaurant supply stores are great for that sort of thing.

Thanks, I am talking whipped butter. That was my thought, a restaurant mixer. The way I do it now is small batches, large pyrex measuring cup in a big pot, then whip by placing in a large bowl of ice water. Not sure how to do all that with a big commercial mixer. I was wondering if the shea butter could be heated in a roaster pan on low heat, any ideas?

Thanks

Freda

fmsojka - I've actually read where a lot of people don't heat their shea before they whip...since shea is softer than a lot of butters, they just dump it in the pot and whip the heck out of it...think of it like you would with room temp. reg. butter, it'll whip up nicely, and take less time than whipping from liquid. I haven't tried it personally yet, so I can't attest to it, but a lot of B&Bers here do it that way.

lindsay - are you talking about getting it from the bowl into the jug? I tried to do that with a funnel, but it's so time consuming and messy. Now I just leave it in the Rubbermaid container and scoop it out with a measuring cup when it's time to scent and bottle it...then I pour it into the bottle with a funnel. Easier for me that way, rather than trying to get it into the jug as a whole gallon.

fmsojka - I've actually read where a lot of people don't heat their shea before they whip...since shea is softer than a lot of butters, they just dump it in the pot and whip the heck out of it...think of it like you would with room temp. reg. butter, it'll whip up nicely, and take less time than whipping from liquid. I haven't tried it personally yet, so I can't attest to it, but a lot of B&Bers here do it that way.

I've tried it both ways and settled on a happy medium. I heat the shea butter in microwave till only half is melted then smush the unmelted chunks with a fork and then whip with stick blender. Put in fridge (not freezer) for a few minutes then whip some more. This cut my whipping time in half. And I don't get any grainy-ness.