B&B Liability Insurance

Do all of you that sell B&B have liability insurance? I would love to add some soaps (m&p), bubble bath, liquid soaps and lotions to my candle business. However, the ins company I have candle liability thru said how expensive it would be. I'm not sure I want to pay that much.

You know I hear how so many have trouble finding insurance and I really feel for you all. I just went to my regular insurance agent and they sent out an apraiser to look at my set up. I was approved for it with no problem. I have $1 million coverage for each incident and it only costs me about $27.00 per month. Maybe you could try some smaller insurance agencies and see what they can do for you?

Ummmm . . . nope. No insurance. I guess that's something else I have to get working on. We just LLC'ed last week. Getting that worked out had been priority. Maybe we just assumed that with the limited liability, why would we need expensive insurance? Yes, I know what assuming does. It can kill a small business.

You know I hear how so many have trouble finding insurance and I really feel for you all. I just went to my regular insurance agent and they sent out an apraiser to look at my set up. I was approved for it with no problem. I have $1 million coverage for each incident and it only costs me about $27.00 per month. Maybe you could try some smaller insurance agencies and see what they can do for you?

I think this is something that varies greatly from state to state. I know that our agent (State Farm) mentioned to my husband that they do not write policies like that and could not even recommend anyone that he knew who did. Someone else told me that if your State Farm agent knows that you are doing a home based business such as candles or bath and body, they can cancel your policies you have open with them. Texas is very tough to find insurance in. Found someone in Oklahoma that will write a policy for candles, but not sure about the B&B stuff.

Ummmm . . . nope. No insurance. I guess that's something else I have to get working on. We just LLC'ed last week. Getting that worked out had been priority. Maybe we just assumed that with the limited liability, why would we need expensive insurance? Yes, I know what assuming does. It can kill a small business.

Yes, it can. LLC does not fully protect your personal assets. It does protect any employees you have from any liability, but you, as the owner of the company, are still liable. Insurance is a must.

I think this is something that varies greatly from state to state. I know that our agent (State Farm) mentioned to my husband that they do not write policies like that and could not even recommend anyone that he knew who did. Someone else told me that if your State Farm agent knows that you are doing a home based business such as candles or bath and body, they can cancel your policies you have open with them. Texas is very tough to find insurance in. Found someone in Oklahoma that will write a policy for candles, but not sure about the B&B stuff.

Yeah I know it varies from state to state but my point is is that it can be found even though it is tough to find sometimes. I'm lucky because it was very easy for me and when I went into B&B, I really expected to have problems getting it, but I didn't. I really feel for those that live in the states with tougher laws. But I would never operate without it so I'm glad it was easy for me.