Hp ?

lovebug7480

My hubby and I have been digging in books and reading up on soapmaking recently. We have done one cpop already which seemed to turn out well. We had an issue with the lye which was quite scary but other than that, it turned out ok I think. We'll get a pic up soon. My question is in regards to HP soap. The book we've read and from some research I've done says that you can use the soap right away. But then I've read some places that you still need to cure it. What is your opinions on that? I quite like the idea of using the soap right away and if I still have to wait for it to cure, I may as well do CPOP and have fun with the swirls and have the nice smoothness. I'm kinda confused.

While HP soap can be used right away, it will last longer with a good cure time to get rid of the excess water. You'll have cooked all the lye out of it, so it's safe.

Like, if you used a bar right out of the pot of HP, it will be soft, and will dissolve quickly as it's full of water, but as it cures, the water evaporates and makes a harder longer lasting bar that feels better too! HTH!

sorry to highjack the thread, but I have to ask.... so how long are you s'possed to cure HP? I know it will vary from recipe to recipe, but what is the average? I always wait a minimum of a month for my CP bars, but I have found I like the older bars better. They are REALLY hard, and of course they last longer...

For cphp that I do it gets hard right away. I have scraped the sides of my crock and made balls and the form them under cold water and they become even harder and I can use those. When they are in the mold they are done in about 3-4 hours and i can use it right away with out any major softness or problems at all. That is why I like cphp, no waiting and lots of instant gratification. :smiley2: