100% soy verses soy container blends.

Hi everyone,

I am using 100% soy 415 from Golden. I tried 464. I wasn't sure if I liked it enough. I tend to like to swirl my dyes in my candles and pouring so hot makes it kind of difficult. Where as pouring at 100 degrees makes it thick enough. The problems is when I use 100% after time the tops dull out. I was wondering if the container blends do that? Even my tealites kind of change not the color but the texture. Do container blends do this too?

Has anyone had that problem? I know I have to ask Jason this. But what is the benefit of container blends over 100%. Nobody has answered that question specifically yet.

I have my own soy blend and the 4 main reasons I like a blend over 100% soy is...

1. I can pour hot, I don't have to wait for wax to cool to a slush, that to me is time wasted.
  2. I don't get any frosting.
  3. I don't get the ugly tops.
  4. I get a great cold & hot throw.

sounds like you have mastered the infamous soy beast candleman,...patent that formula and make it available for shipping! I'd be your first customer--what's the per case price and shipping to MA? LOL

I use 100% soy stacie, and it works well enough...I have my moments that I hate it, but I have tried other formulas and just not gotten that much better results with those. I have sampled the golden 464, but had mixed results--one set up nice and the other didn't so that's still iffy for me and I'm not ready to make the jump to buying a case right now not knowing if it will work out. I haven't gotten horrible frosting (knock on wood) and have great scent throw with it, so I'm sticking to it for now...it's really a personal preference what to use for wax, once you become accustomed to a wax it becomes easier to work with I believe, so pick one and start playing around--have fun. BTW..my tops don't dull out over time, I have some candles that were poured almost a year ago that still look good.

100% soy waxes are container blends too. It's not just one ingredient.

I don't think you can generalize about what results you'll get from the ones that aren't 100% made from soy products. Using CB-135 with FOs that didn't tend to frost over time, the tops would stay nice and clear but they did take on a more matte sort of finish.

I suspect what Candle Man is talking about is blending soy wax with some other wax(es).

aimee, I use GB 415 generally. I have noticed in to time to what Top has said the tops are nice and clear but they did take on a matte finish. My tealights faired much worse if I didn't preserve them. Any open tops I have dull out. I have tried Beeswax but it seems to cause wet spots from time to time. I have sampled 464 and I too have had mixed results and feelings about this wax. I am wondering If I should just keep both waxes on hand just in case.