Wick Question

I have been reading all your posts about sticking wicks to the bottom of containers. I am confused. I always drop my wick in after my wax has started to cool and force the tab into the soft wax at the bottom of the container. I have done much testing and my wick has never moved. Is it the containers I am using. I use mostly jelly jars, coffee cups and small 2 oz round jars. I do the same thing with my votives. If I use a larger jar would my wick move?

you need to secure all your wicks to the bottom of your containers. No matter how small the diameter or how big or if you use 2 or 3 wicks instead of 1; all of them need to be secured at the bottom, otherwise they will slide to the side of your container and either break the glass or heat the metal to the point where it will cause damage to anything underneath it.

Guest ShellyRobyn
you need to secure all your wicks to the bottom of your containers. No matter how small the diameter or how big or if you use 2 or 3 wicks instead of 1; all of them need to be secured at the bottom, otherwise they will slide to the side of your container and either break the glass or heat the metal to the point where it will cause damage to anything underneath it.

Double ditto!!!

The easiest way to secure a wick to the bottom of a container is to cut a straw in thirds, slide the wick through the straw, put your wick stick-um (the majority choice by people here on the board) onto the tab and then position it in your container, putting pressure on the straw to push the tab into place. It is the cheapest and most efficient way of setting your wick into a container - especially a deep one (the deeper the container, the longer you can cut the straw). If you are using votives cups, buying a wick pin is your best choice, but they can get expensive if you are making numerous votives.

Good luck!

If you are using votives cups, buying a wick pin is your best choice, but they can get expensive if you are making numerous votives.

You can get votive wick pins at Peaks for 89 cents each right now at Peaks!

And the EZ Wick System works great for centering wicks in containers

http://www.ezwicksystem.com/default.asp?C=1&S=E3&Document=EZ+Wick+Setter&NID=2232277