Pay pal account hacked into Update Last Page

cindym

Why do you think this is the case?

PayPal does not issue passwords they are created by the account owner. If the owner then enters it into a fake site, is that PayPals fault. Or if the account owner doesn't have a good virus protection or firewall, is that PayPal's fault.

With the internet people need to become a little more savvy when it comes to having their financial information out there.

I agree with Breanna, I change all my passwords every 30 days. It is a pain...but I was scammed in early 2000 by a candle supplier's employee and signed up for PayPal then and have had no problems since.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a theory I'm throwing out there for all of us that have or haven't been hacked yet. I sold a few things on eBay,(remnants leftover stock) & at the top of the completed auction page was the paypal address my buyer sent payment to. Older auction, maybe 2-3 months old now & my paypal address is still at the top of the completed auction page.

I purposely don't include my paypal addy within the auction, eBay decided they would do it for me.

Sheesh, no wonder so many people are getting hacked & spoof emails. eBay put the bait front & center for the scammers.

It wont show to regular customers....it is because you were in your account. Have a friend go to that auction from their computer and it wont say your email address.

Err, sorry Mizbizzyb- what I meant to ask was: Why do you think people blame paypal when they get scammed but are not so quick to blame other payment processors?

I dont have any interactions with any other payment processors besides my personal merchant account so I don't know what the issues with them would be.

When I got a spoof email from US Bank...by golly I did not call them up blaming them for me entering my account number and information into the fake site... I called them asking them how to fix the problem. And it was resolved.

mizbizzyb, thats whats weird. I wasn't on my home computer nor was I logged in to eBay when my paypal address was displayed on an old completed auction.

I've been both buyer & seller (mostly buyer) on eBay since 2002, displaying active seller paypal addresses on auctions is a risk & change I can live without. Instead of using eBay one of these days I'll post on the classifieds here. (Currently still in my packrat, might need it someday mode though... could be a while)

Okey Dokey well, let's just say the reason I posted here was to make people aware that these things can happen. Quite frankly I can not say whether or not I did something to cause this, and either can anyone else. I think that changing your password often is the best defense. My computer is well protected and we run scans everyday. My bank has been great about this and we will see what paypal has to say and if they do refund my money, which they have not indicated they will not. Ya know someone posted a site www. paypal sucks .com hmmmm what I found interesting about that site was they just so happened to have an altenative, selling their own product. I can honestly say that I do not know how I can run my business without paypal as they provide a great service. On the internet stuff happens, I am not the only one who has been scammed out of money on the internet, I am sure that it is millions. It certainly was a very scary and upsetting experience on many levels, a violation for sure. No service or entity on the internet is completely safe from this kind of activity and it is up to us to do all we can to protect ourselves.

Okey Dokey well, let's just say the reason I posted here was to make people aware that these things can happen. Quite frankly I can not say whether or not I did something to cause this, and either can anyone else. I think that changing your password often is the best defense. My computer is well protected and we run scans everyday. My bank has been great about this and we will see what paypal has to say and if they do refund my money, which they have not indicated they will not. Ya know someone posted a site www. paypal sucks .com hmmmm what I found interesting about that site was they just so happened to have an altenative, selling their own product. I can honestly say that I do not know how I can run my business without paypal as they provide a great service. On the internet stuff happens, I am not the only one who has been scammed out of money on the internet, I am sure that it is millions. It certainly was a very scary and upsetting experience on many levels, a violation for sure. No service or entity on the internet is completely safe from this kind of activity and it is up to us to do all we can to protect ourselves.

When did you report it to PayPal? Did they send you an affidavit to return to them? If not I hate to say it Cindy but call back and asked for the unauthorized account access affidavit and make sure there was a report on to fraud done on your account.

I got something from EBay that said they were going to cancel my account unless I updated some info.. when I logged in thru ebay, saw nothing. Using the link on the email to 'take care' of the issue it asked for my paypal password to logg in. Yeah right... I canceled out and as far as I'm concerned, if the ebay message is legit, they can cancel me. The email sure looked 'official' from ebay with all kinds of links to security.. but I'm not going to give any passwords to anybody.