making one test candle vs. making candles in quantity

I don't know if anyone can help me out. I had finally after 3 months of testing thought I figured out how to make a soy candle that actually smelled when burnt. So I decided to make instead of one at a time, like I was making when I was doing the tests, to make one full pitcher (which would be 11 candles at a time). I did exactly the same thing I did with one candle to the pitcher with 11 candles. I melted the wax, added the fragrance that corresponded to 11 candles, mixed it for about 2 minutes and let it sit there until it was cloudy and almost slushy. I poured into the containers at that time. The thing is that when I make one candle vs. making 11, the time that the wax sits there waiting to cool is 10 as much for the pitcher with 11 candles vs. the one candle. I lit the candles that were made in the batch of 11, and they do not have any throw. The one I make one at a time has throw. The thing is that I cannot make one candle at a time and I need to be able to make one pitcher at a time. Is it the fragrance that evaporated because of it sitting there for 3 hours waiting to cool? How do I handle this problem? I have also tried pouring right after mixing into the containers, and the candle also had not throw. The only way I have achieved a candle with a throw is by doing one at a time and leting it sit there to slush and then pour. Can anyone help me?????????? Please???????

Karen

I have been told so many different things regarding the temperature at which you are supposed to add the fragrance, and after testing all of them the temp that worked for me was 170. I have been told that you can pour right away into the container, or that you should wait until it is 125, or that it is slushy... and after trying them all... slushy is the one that gave me the right result. I do let the candle cure for 3 days before lighting it to test. The fragrances I use have worked in the past when I made one candle sample test at a time, but just does not work with making a batch.

O.k. so when you make 11 candles at a time, how many pounds of wax are you using and how many ounces of oil. You have to make sure you are adding in enough oil and mixing well.

Curing time all depends on the fo. I have some oils that will give me a great hot scent throw the next day some from other suppliers takes days and days.

SP

170 is a good temp. to add your FO, you shouldn't add it any lower than that, as it may not bind with your wax. I agree with letting us know how much wax and fo you used and hopefully someone can help from there. Candles are a frustrating hobby, testing everything, having it work one time and not the next drives ya crazy!! Hang in there, eventually it works out!! :cool2:

Double check your fo measurements for the amount of wax you are using.

Also make sure you are adding your FO at the right temp for the wax.

Maybe try only making 2-4 candles if you have to make more than one so you are not wasting much.

Let us know how it goes

170 is a good temp. to add your FO, you shouldn't add it any lower than that, as it may not bind with your wax.

We do not add our fragrances until the last few minutes before pouring (140-150 range). Because the essential oils and fragrance oils are affected by heat, we try to keep the temp on the low side. Have had no problems with "binding."

I think that fragrance oils vary greatly from supplier to supplier - if you aren't happy with the results, try another supplier. The testers (1/2 & 1 oz. sizes) are reasonably priced most places and are enough to give you a good idea of scent throw.

Some scents need to cure before they really "come out," but generally we only cure fragrance oil candles for 24-48 hours before test burning and have found very few fragrances that don't throw well. We HAVE found a lot of difference between how it smells from the bottle and how it smells in the candle... Some scents we hate out of the bottle, but actually like a lot in the candle and vice versa - go figger!! :D