Digital alarm thermometers

I feel so silly bringing this up but here it goes...

Is there a trick to getting these to work correctly? I've tried three now...bought one - figured it was defective. Bought second one (same brand) and it did the same as first (so not defective). Read here about Pyrex so made special trip to Walmart (hate that store) and it performed the same as the other two so obviously I'm the one doing something wrong!

Here's what I do....I have my presto pot set to the temp I want (after much testing to find that spot and always leave it there) - pour wax, set alarm on thermometer to go off at 185 so I know when to add fo. It beeps on the way up (which fine - I understand that) but it beeps on the way down like every two minutes instead of just beeping when it comes back down to 185. So - I really can't walk away from it because every 2 minutes it's beeping so it kind of defeats the purpose of having an alarm.

Does that make sense?

Jen

Hi Jen, It possibly makes sense when I think about the dramas I have with my own digital beeping thermometer. I wonder if yours is set back to front, that is, it shouldn't beep on the way up the the temp you want only when it gets there and over. If it is set to beep when it is at 185 or below it will beep everytime you are under. Just a thought. HTH. Mozzie