Bamboo from Wick your Wax

I just poured this scent and WOW is it strong, at 6% in my Greenleaf 70/30 blend. It is to die for. We've found another keeper that we will be adding to our line.

Does anyone have any thoughts on renaming this? It's described as:

An exotic sultry fragrance from the far east. Asian spices, grassy notes, citrus, jasmine, cyclamen and lavender make up this amazing blend. Sure to be a best seller! NOT Skin Safe.

This doesn't sound like "Bamboo" to me so I thought I would try renaming this. Does anyone have any ideas?

I know, most people seem to like it. To me it's kind of a stench. I've had a couple of pillars sitting 8 feet away and wishing the cold throw wasn't so good. It certainly is an example of an FO I'd use if I liked the fragrance. Better throw than most of their "top shelf" oils.

What's your experience with their oils in general? Do they throw as well as the Bamboo, in general? Or are they on par with most other fo suppliers?
Well, I have most of them but haven't made major inroads with the testing. Most are still in the bottles. Some are poured but not burned. A handful I've burned.

It's a top quality FO line, at about the same level as other cut-above FO lines. Beyond that it's a matter of how much you like the scents and evaluating each one individually for throw and what amount to use.

Obviously they're expensive. Many suppliers use variable pricing depending on the cost of the product, but WYW is priced across the board. Another reason you have to evaluate them individually. Sorry, but it just doesn't cost that much to make a good Cucumber Melon for candles. But if it's a unique scent and you like it and it has excellent throw, that's another matter.

Their "top shelf" FOs don't interest me much. They're unique and smell good, but they're kinda weird scents I don't what to do with. I can get other "perfumist's imagination" and spa scents I like even better that cost less. Maybe stuff that I can actually think of a name for. What is Hinokiwood and Cypress anyway? Smells like incense and...I dunno...stuff. So many fragrances out there, if I don't know what to do with it I won't rack my brain.

A lot of scents in the standard line seem very interesting to try.

Top is right about your having to evaluate them individually. Just because they have uniform pricing, doesn't mean the scents are of uniform strength. The Bamboo, Goddess, Vanilla Grapefruit, WPC (love this one), Buttercream Crunch are obnoxiously strong and have to be used at a lower rate. But, on the other hand, there were a few that I could hardly smell straight oob (Peach Melba was one). I know people say never to judge oob, but I didn't even pour this one. Even though scents change in wax, I've never had one to get stronger in wax; it's unrealistic to expect them to be stronger diluted at least 11:1 in wax than they are straight. Overall, they have some really nice ones, though. Unusual scents that you don't find anyplace else.

Any ideas what type of cure time is required? Poured it Tuesday of last week, at 6% in my GL 70/30. Lit today for the first time and, I'm getting very little hot throw. May be a cure issue. I poured GL's Violet Musk the same day and lit today and am getting an EXCELLENT throw. I know different oils have different cure times, though.

Any ideas what type of cure time is required? Poured it Tuesday of last week, at 6% in my GL 70/30. Lit today for the first time and, I'm getting very little hot throw. May be a cure issue. I poured GL's Violet Musk the same day and lit today and am getting an EXCELLENT throw. I know different oils have different cure times, though.

In general with the GL 70/30 I've been waiting, just like one would for soy. Of course with some FOs you get immediate wonderful hot throw, but I try to wait at least a week for testing. And yes, it's hard to wait! With every WYW scent I've tried the longer I've waited the better the throw significantly. HTH.

Top is right about your having to evaluate them individually. Just because they have uniform pricing, doesn't mean the scents are of uniform strength. The Bamboo, Goddess, Vanilla Grapefruit, WPC (love this one), Buttercream Crunch are obnoxiously strong and have to be used at a lower rate. But, on the other hand, there were a few that I could hardly smell straight oob (Peach Melba was one). I know people say never to judge oob, but I didn't even pour this one. Even though scents change in wax, I've never had one to get stronger in wax; it's unrealistic to expect them to be stronger diluted at least 11:1 in wax than they are straight. Overall, they have some really nice ones, though. Unusual scents that you don't find anyplace else.

I haven't had experience with their oils, but as they say "do not judge OOB". I purchased an oil from SFS "white tea and cactus". Pretty expensive oil! I sniffed OOB and left that sucker sitting on the shelf for 6 months before pouring as I thought the same as you...to light, I got ripped off, never again. Just poured last week and no kidding, 1 t-light had my laundry room smelling wonderful. I applied the oil to Pure Soy and never let it cure for 24-48 hours. I lit it right away and I was totally blown away by that oil. I know we can't compare apples to oranges here, but you never know the strength of the aroma your going to experience without giving it a shot. I have some oils that will knock your socks off OOB, but in wax, their so light. Keep us posted on the Peach Melba, we'd love to know your findings. :)

Actually, it's now been curing for more than a week and the hot throw is NOT impressive at 6%. Most of the Greenleaf oils blow this one out of the water, to be honest. It fills a small 11x11 bedroom but when placed in my living room, I can't smell it at all, unless I'm within a few feet of the candle, which is not the case with some of the other oils that I've poured.

It might be one of those oils that needs 2+ weeks to cure, but, so far, not impressed.

I had a little confusion with this one, too. I LOVE this fragrance, in fact, it is one of my all time favorites. When I first started testing it, I had excellent throw with 6006 and a CD 8 in my small tumbler. It was burning in my bedroom, but I could smell it into my living room. I was thrilled.

I sell them at work and decided to light up a Bamboo yesterday. I could hardly smell it! We did have the door open part of the day, AND, we have a lot of foot traffic ( I work in a salon). Either way, I can always smell what is burning and I was really disappointed....I am going to light one up here at home and see what I think.

Considering the price, and what I had heard, I expected to be able to smell it, at least faintly. I could not. I lit a Violet Musk FO from Greenleaf that I poured the same day and I could smell it quite easily and, I think that violet musk is actually, by it's very nature, a much lighter scent than the Bamboo, which I would think would be almost overpowering, which it wasn't.

i have been buying from WYW since Doreen started selling scents. She sure didnt have many when she stared out years ago, but what she had was good. Im not sure why the bamboo wasnt strong for you, sometimes I have a supplier tell me that if you use too much the throw will be weak. I think its hog wash, but I have had 2 suppliers tell me this. They DO say on the bamboo that if you use too much you dont get to smell all the notes it has. Might sound stupid, but you could always cut back the % some and see how it does. I remember (5 or so years ago) when she got her sample of cream brulee scent in, she had a contest to rename it and thats how she got the buttercream crunch name. Bruce

Maybe, however, I ONLY used 6%. I might agree if I had used my normal 10%, or so, however, because of WYW's reputation as being so strong, I cut back and used exactly 6%, which is just UNDER 1oz per pound, so, I can't see it being that. It was poured on 05/2 and today, 10 days later, I still don't get a good hot throw at all, in a big room. I can place it in a small room and smell it clearly, however, I can't smell it at all in my living room, which is much bigger. There are other candles, poured the same day, which aren't having any trouble at all scenting my living room (and in fact, are creeping into surrounding rooms).

I have also poured the Island Kola Nut, the day after this one (5/3), but have not yet burned it. I'm going to let it cure another day or two and see how it does.

VERY expensive oils to be not throwing at all.

If I remember correctly Bamboo threw very well for me. It wasn't a strong threwer as a bakery scent. I test with a 4 oz hex jar in my bathroom (8 x 10ft) and it was creeping out into my office. Its more of a spa type oil which flows smoothly.

It could also be the wicks / wax combo. I tried JS Vanilla Buttercream crunch. In my regular wax it didn't throw that good. In GL 70/30 with Eco wicks, a bit better but not the "knock your socks off" throw that everybody has been talking about. I changed my wicks to cotton and what a big difference that made. It was travelling through out my home....oh yes I believe this one cured for a week or so.

SP:cool2:

Maybe, however, I ONLY used 6%. I might agree if I had used my normal 10%,

I did read your post dear, here is a quote from WYW web page "Wick Your Wax fragrance oils are very concentrated. A little goes a long way. The majority of candlemakers that use our oils use them at a ratio of between 3-5%"

Right but, that is likely in paraffin, and, my wax is 70% soy. And, I can't see how using 6% is using "too much." You may be right, but, if a fragrance oil doesn't throw at all at 6%, it's highly unlikely that it's going to "blow you out of the house" at 3%, and, at the price that these oils command, it better blow you out of the house. There are FAR too many high quality oils on the market, for significantly less money, that thus far, have thrown much better for me.

You are right, Top. I'm not sure what on earth I was thinking. By the way, they say to use between 3% and 5%. They do NOT specifically state to use 3%, so, using your math, I used exactly 20% (not 100%), more than required, and, considering that those recommendations are most likely paraffin based, and mine is a soy blend, I would say I am dead on.

And, Top, I will ask you this. Do you think that if I had poured at 3% or at 5%, this oil would be throwing significantly better than what it is, having been poured at 6%? I'm curious.

I think you can see how ludicrous that argument is.

Right but, that is likely in paraffin, and, my wax is 70% soy. And, I can't see how using 6% is using "too much." You may be right, but, if a fragrance oil doesn't throw at all at 6%, it's highly unlikely that it's going to "blow you out of the house" at 3%, and, at the price that these oils command, it better blow you out of the house. There are FAR too many high quality oils on the market, for significantly less money, that thus far, have thrown much better for me.

Based on experience...not all oils are made to "Blow You Out Of The House"! I have candles that I think are light and my customers state they are strong. I finally came to realize that my "candle nose" isn't working like it use to. :) Maybe you should contact them and get their details on what wax they are corresponding this strong scent throw with and what % of oil their using. Hope you get some resolution on these oils.

I agree. That's also why I will hold of judgement on the brand as a whole, until such time as I've burned other ones. Next on my list (in order of when they were poured) is Island Kola nut. For me, however, I will say that they should be VERY strong throwers, based on the price, as there are a ton of nice, complex blends out there priced at MUCH lower price points. That's just my opinion.

And, Top, I will ask you this. Do you think that if I had poured at 3% or at 5%, this oil would be throwing significantly better than what it is, having been poured at 6%? I'm curious.

I think you can see how ludicrous that argument is.

Well, I'm not Top but the reason I posted this IS because I have had 2 suppliers tell me to use less FO and I will get more throw. Might be like vybar, too little is no good and too much is no good for scent throw? As i stated I think its not true, but you were looking for answers and I was giving you information that no one else has posted... your welcome. I dont use any of the top shelf items but i have bought a sample and poured every oil they carry. The topshelf items are not my thing... what top said about them I agree with. Bruce