In search of recipe

lovebug7480

Hey everyone, quick question about recipes. I am looking for a very moisturizing bar that is nice and creamy/lathery. I am kind of confused about recipes and what I can substitue for what. For example, if something has tallow, what would be acceptable to switch it out for that would give it approximately the same results? I have come across some great recipes that I have most of the ingredients for, but I don't have avacado oil. What could I substitute for it? Could I safely switch it out for say, apricot kernal oil? I suppose what I am asking is how do I determine what oils to switch out and with what oils do I replace them with? TIA for any info!!!

http://www.millersoap.com/soapdesign.html#Properties

Go to the above listed page on Kathy Miller's soap site and you will find a bit of discussion on properties of the oils/butters and charts. Learn those charts, switch out an oil you do not have with something you do have based on similarity if you don't want the qualities of the finished bar to change that much.

There are other charts that are easier to read and learn for someone new to this, but I am at work and do not have the link.

When all else fails, there is probably something on Kathy Miller's soap site, so book mark that and use it as a reference tool.

And for your example, 2 other oils that are similar to tallow would be lard or palm oil. Still need to run it through a calculator, but those three are pretty similar in look and feel.

Oh yes, always run your recipe through a lye calculator and make sure to notate any change there. Thank you for mentioning that Robin.

Personally, most can't be subbed.. Now, you can still get a kick bootie bar with the avacado, the one with the apricot kernal will more than likely be awesome too, but not the same. Try to sub like oils when you feel the need to change it up, or by what you have in stock. Like PKO, Coconut, and Babbasu are all lathering oils, sub one for the other if needed. Look through the lists Rebecca gave you and note which ones have the most "like" values as the others, and you'll quickly learn what to toss in where! :smiley2: