Bath Salts & Milk Question

Marisa

Hey guys.. I have a quick question.. About how long is a normal shelf life for bath salts (with fragrance oil ) and bath Milks with FO? I have some that smell a little off and its only been about 3 months..is their anyway to keep them with a longer shelf life? TIA!!

The standard shelf life for mine is 12 months but it depends on what you use in them.

Powdered milk and most FO have a shelf life of 12 mo. The baking soda and cornstarch is a lot longer but the powdered milk and FO will make it only 12 mo. because of they have the shortest shelf life. Same with the bath salts. The bath salts themselves last years but add FO to them and 12 mo. is about the average.

HTH.

Thanks for the replys!! Does anyone else have a problem with them going bad after about 3months? I used several differnt oils from differnt companies and they were all newly bought by me.. Do I need a preservative or does that make a difference?

I package my milk bath in a cello bag with a ribbon to tie it closed. My bath salts are in a glass bail lid jar. I would not say that they are completly air tight. My shelf life is still 12 months.

Edited to say: I re-read your post Mike. You are right about the storage of FO. Dark bottles, in a room temp. cupboard, out of direct sun, with tight screw lids.

My only suggestions is to purchase your FO from a reputable company that sells enough FO that they move quickly off of their shelves. If you purchase from a smaller supplier they may have had it for several months so it may expire more quickly.