Finicky FO

Carrie

I want to make a CP with an FO that I know seizes. It seized last time I tried it. What if anything can I do to lessen the seizure. Can I soap hotter, cooler, mix the FO with one of my oils first, etc? I won't discount water, but aside from that I don't know how to handle these fo's.

Any suggestions on how to tame it, even a little?

All of the above.

Use full water, don't discount it if you do discounts.

Use room temperature lye - let it sit out for a couple of hours.

Use oils that are around 100F

Add FO at thin trace, and don't stickblend after, just stir it in with a spoon or whisk

I've also started having luck with adding the FO to the total oils first and mixing it in, before I add the lye. I add the lye and stir with a spoon just to see how it reacts, then maybe hit it with a SB if it seems OK. I haven't found that the scent is changed over doing it the normal way.

Thank you Purple Lilac and Robin. I knew there had to be a way to at least partially tame an FO with a bad attitude. I have an FO that I just love in soap, but it seized the last time I tried it and have since heard from the supplier that others have had problems also. I'll try your suggestions and let you know.