How to Get Started?

Gacela20

I'm ready to sell candles and turn it into a part-time job. I want to start small by getting a booth at a popular flea market and selling there on Saturdays, but I know that I'll want to expand eventually. What's your advice? I'm not in the U.S. (in the Caribbean) and businesses tend to be less receptive to local products. In terms of marketing, I've also considered sending a package containing a brochure and two free products to select outlets (gift shops, home furnishing stores, etc.) What kind of experience, if any, have you had with this technique?

What other advice would you give to a newbie?

Sweet that post was over 6 month ago and she at that time said she had made candle for a couple of months.

I would stay away from flee market but that is here where anything flee market is consider a cheap item.

I would get together some samples and brochures and take them and drop them off instead of sending then about a week later go back and see how they liked them at that time have scent sniffies with you so they can actually smell what you have to offer.

Sweet that post was over 6 month ago and she at that time said she had made candle for a couple of months.

I would stay away from flee market but that is here where anything flee market is consider a cheap item.

I would get together some samples and brochures and take them and drop them off instead of sending then about a week later go back and see how they liked them at that time have scent sniffies with you so they can actually smell what you have to offer.

Oh ok...just making sure..was not meaning anything by it at all, just wondering I saw 6 posts so I thought maybe she was new to candle making. I agree stay away from flea markets people do expect cheap prices at those things and we all know candle making is NOT cheap..lol I think that your idea to send those items to different places along with your contact info is Great!! Lots of luck to you, I hope you do very well.;)

Thanks for the advice. The term flea market is kind of broad here in that it can be an outlet for the sale of secondhand or cheap knick knacks, as well as more like an indoor fair where vendors sell things that are both new and old, bought and handmade.

You would probably be better off doing craft shows instead of flea markets. People expect yard sale prices at many flea markets. Not only that, but at the flea markets I go to, there is always someone selling AVON or Home Interiors, so it is very difficult to compete with them, especially when people think they can get "brand name" stuff, they won't want to pay what your handmade items are worth.