Testing Votives - Color Needed??

We "think" we may have found the right wick for our votives, but we want to try them out with each of our scents to make sure.

Is it necessary to add color when you are just doing testing? I was planning on making about 4 votives of each scent. We have not come up with all the colors for our scents, but I don't think this would be a good opportunity to do so with such small batches - kind of hard to duplicate a "toothpick of this, and a drop of that". My thinking is to wait until we are doing AT LEAST a pound or more of wax to work on the color combos.

Am I thinking backwards here?? Does anyone have any other ideas on how I should tackle this?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Jane

Thanks so much for the replies....not exactly what I was hoping for, tho....:laugh2:

Actually, it is a good time to play around with them and try to get the colors right. I think I will up the batch to 8 votives each, then we will be working with a pound of wax. That will make the measurements of FO and dye easier to work with....:D

Thanks for your help.....much appreciated!!

Jane

To test votives, you definitely need to make them exactly as you would if you were going to sell them so that you know you have the right wick. Testing without scent and/or color will likely yield different results. I test small batches (4 votives each) at a time and it works great. It isn't so hard to duplicate a small amount of dye. If you use 1 toothpick worth, then use 2 next time, etc. If the color turns out too dark or too lgiht, make a note and then adjust next time you pour that color.