Why does it smoke?

I'm just starting to make votives, pillars and tart melts....got the containers down-pat, and want to expand my product line.

I've made my first clam shells, but when I did a test melt, it started smoking after about 30 minutes.

Can anyone tell me why that is?

The melter uses a tealight underneath, and the wax is a pillar wax with 25% container wax in it.

Thanks in Advance!

Cheryl :confused:

Yea I've had that with cheep tea lights. I think they burn way to hot.

You also need to check you burner for tea light to bottom of dish distance. A lot of them are different, the closer the tea light is to the bottom of the dish the hotter it will burn. When I use tea light burners I like them with more distance.

I burn a lot of tarts and oils. Sometimes mine will smoke a little more if I am using a new tea-light. There is usually always a Little steam/smoke if you look close, I think it is a mixture of the tea-light and just the FO release. I just decided to use the clam shells and when I got mine today I just had to laugh!! I thought each breakaway piece would be the size if a normal tart. Instead i get this little tiny tart container that I was originally going to charge $6.00 each. I have to rethink that!

• 4 months later...