new to soap making/need help

lucid dreamer

This will be the first time I would be doing a batch of soap, and I would like to use what I already have at home if possible. I currently have the following ingredients: Olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, corn oil, vegetable oil and lard. Is it possible to create a good soap with what I have? What amounts should I include of each oil?

I have tried to find coconut oil and palm oil at the local grocery store to no availability. I would like to start with what I have available to give soap making a try before ordering oils online. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :grin2:

Look for coconut at a Super Walmart.. its by LuAnne I think, small 2 or 3 lb jar for under $4.00, if I remember right, its in the aisle with all the other oils and lard as well. Or if you have a natural food store close, you can get coconut and palm there, just they are a bit pricey.

You can make a decent soap with grocery oils, dont let that stop you, if you think you cant.

First you will find alot of info(with recipes) on Kathy Miller's website and it is a place where alot of us started, I believe the link is http://millersoap.com .

Make sure you read up about Lye safety.... wear protective gear, including a mask.

pix