Flickering

Lastly, I've been testing 5 different 100% soy waxes, using CDN 16-22, HTP 105-1212, Eco 10-16, 60-62C, and RRD 40-47 in the sq. mason. I can get a melt pool, I can get hot and cold throw, but my flame flickers all over the place. I've used 6-9% FO, tried additives including beeswax, and used between 2-6 drops color for a pound of wax. I've poured slushy, and I've tried hotter. I've used 8 oz. jelly jars, 8 oz. square mason, and 10 oz. apoth. and hex jars. (Right now am concentrating strictly on the sq. mason.) Would the blends end this problem? Everyone says test...well, I've tested to the point I am going to give up and eat the wax...after all, it is food grade! If I use a candle capper, I can get a steadier flame. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, do you sell including a capper? I'm at my "wicks" end. Help! Beth

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806&highlight=flicker

About the capper, I have found in my experience that when I have tested them, they only really served one purpose for me. That was to contain the heat in the jar. Which would cause the candle to get a FMP quicker and sometimes overheat the jar. IMO I think the candle should be able to get a FMP on it's own without the capper. That is my own personal experience though and I am sure that there are some people that use them and are quite happy with them.

I notice in my jars that the flame will be super steady until it reaches further down the jar then it will wave & dance alot-but not spike. If this is what is happening to you then I think it's just the nature of the beast-less oxygen and the flame giving off its own air currents. Someone else may come along that can verify this but I believe if a flame is flickering & spiky then the wick is running out of fuel & is too small.