Funny Wick Question!

Hi everyone,

I have what might seem like a really strange wick question. I have been testing and testing and testing and am having a problem wicking my jars. I currently am trying to wick two different size jars. The first jar is a 16oz wide mouth canning jar with a 3 inch opening. I have tried HTP 104, 105, 1212, 1312, and 126 in this jar and am still having a problem with hangup. My wicks just seem to have a weak flame. I am using golden brands 444. The second jar is a 8 oz jelly jar. It has an opening of about 2 1/2". Again, I have tried HTP 83, 93, 104, and 105. Also I have tried an ECO 4 in this jar. Still, the same problem, quite a bit of hangup left over on the jars even after several burns and a weak flame. If I go up in size on this jar though they get VERY hot, so I don't really think I want to go up to a larger wick on it . I have been adding my fragrance oils at a rate of 6.25% pp of wax. I melt to 175, and add my oil at this temperature. Stir and cool to 135, and pour. I know my problem isn't sink holes, because I have checked this. My ? is this I guess. I know the rule for wick trimming is 1/4". Could my problem be that I am triming my wicks to short? I know the rule is to trim your wicks to 1/4", but since the HTP's curl could that be what is causing the wicks to sputter out and die on me. I am sooooo frustrated. I don't know where to go from here. I'd appreciate any help I can get from you all. I am at a loss at what I should try next. I don't know if I need to switch wicks, wax, or what my problem may be. :embarasse Thanks

I don't use the 444 but have tested it. I use the widemouth jars and think that the HTP 104, 105, and 126 are way too small for this jar. The 1212 should work with most FOs though. The 1312's are usually too hot. Have you completely burned a jar all the way down? I ask this since you are using the HTP which are the self trimming wicks. Because of the curl of this wicks as they burn, they will leave some hangup which should after several burns catch up. Are you using the pint or 1/2 pint? I personally don't like a self trimming wick in the 1/2 pint because I think it is too short for the hangup to always catch up. I perfer a cotton in those jars but love the 1212 in the pint jars.

In these jars with straight soy, I like to double wick, that is my own personal preference. Mine do well with double HTP73,83 or 93, depending on the FO. I personally don't care for the big wicks in these because of the mushrooms that I get sometimes. :D

Thanks to both of you for your help. Meridith, they are the wide mouth pints. Yes, I have burned them all of the way down, but I am still having hangup. It is not a LOT of hangup, most of it is towards the tops of the jars. It does make the jars look rather ugly though. I am using rediglo dye chips. I am going to experiment with different dyes, to see if maybe that will make a difference. Kaybee, I will give double wicking a shot in the wide mouth pints. I don't have any HTP 73's on hand, but I do have the 83's, so I'll try them first and if necessary order some 73's. Again, thanks alot for your suggestions. It helps to get other peoples perspectives on things.:D

I don't use that wax nor do I put dye in my candles. But when I tested the 444 in these jars, I tested with the 1212 and the 62C with great burning results. Also, the new premiere 798 wicks have been great in this jar. I personally don't like the look of this jar DW - I think it looks funny so if I have an FO I can't single wick, I won't carry it. I actually think the 1/2 pint looks better DW than the pint does. I have had success with these following wicks in this jar (single wicked):

ECO 12 & 14

CD 20 & 22

RRD 55

the Premiere wicks 795 & 798

HTP 1212 & 1312

and 60 C and 62 C

What FO/wax ratio are you using?

This jar is not the easiest to wick. I know a regular mason jar will burn perfectly with a 62-52-18 C or a CD 18-20. If your FO is heavy, for example Vanilla or Cinnamon- it will require heavier wicking. You might be able to get away with a CD 22 on lighter scents. It will require several test burns to gauge accurately if this wick works in this jar.

I typically use a 9% FO load and can successfully single wick this jar with one wick. But like I said, I don't use dye and do have some FOs (i.e., Drakkar) that I can't single wick. Also, I do add other natural additives to create my own "blend" of wax. I too think that the wicks with soy need to be a bit longer, especially on the first couple of burns, than the wicks with other types of waxes.