Wicking 4630/1945 with Premier 700's

We wicked three 12 oz apothecary jars with 4630, Peak's Fruit Slices 1 oz pp, and double-wicked several different Premier 700 wicks that were recommended for that size jar. We trimmed our wicks to 1/4".

When we lit each one, the flames were shooting up, dancing around and smoking. We blew them out, trimmed back even further (probably 1/8"), lit them again and they burned beautifully for the next two hours.

My "theory" is that we put the wicks too close together..they probably are about 1" apart from each other. I believe the jars diameter is 4".

Has anyone found that the Premiers have to be trimmed back more than the average 1/4"? At this point, we are not seeing a difference in the burn with the different size wicks...but I am hoping that will come after several more hours of burning. Or maybe they just started that way because they were so close together?

Any other Premier 700 testers out there :confused: ?

Try going down one size. The 700 series is for soy/veg waxes and they may burn a little hotter than the 600 series. The recomendation for that size jar for the 700 series would be for soy, I use a blend and I go much lower than the recommended sizes for my wax.

Dixie

Top and Dixie -

Thanks for your help! Our subsequent burns have shown none of the issues that we encountered on the first burn....no soot and nice size flame....but we don't want that initial mess when someone first lights our candle!

We did not do a second pour on these, so there was wax on the wick after the wax had shrunk back during cooling. Could this have been part of the problem? Is it imperative that you do relief holes if you choose to do a second pour?

Thanks again for your help! As always, I really appreciate you taking the time to help the "new kids on the block"!! :D

If you have a sharp "peak" of wax clinging to the wick, that's going to melt right down and the wick may be too long. If that's what's happening, trim the wick shorter before lighting.

Whether you need a second pour depends on your container and technique. If the top isn't flat enough you might be able to adjust your procedure to improve it. If necessary you can also pour another thin layer and you'll get a super-flat top. No relief holes required.

Whether you need a second pour depends on your container and technique. If the top isn't flat enough you might be able to adjust your procedure to improve it. If necessary you can also pour another thin layer and you'll get a super-flat top. No relief holes required.

Ohhh, that is JUST what I wanted to hear!!! LOL I just hate messing around with those relief holes if I don't need to!!

I will test it out and see how it goes....THANKS!