Filing for DBA with state

sudsnwicks

On the registration form, they ask which county or counties you are filing for. What is the advantage / disadvantage of selecting all available counties? Or selecting only the county you live in? Does it make any difference? When I registered I only checked the box for my county and now I am wondering if I should submit an amendment to include all possible counties.

You can probably call them and ask to change it - they were pretty easy to work with, and they might do it without another fee since you just did it. I did all counties. I guess it's possible if you just checked your own county, then someone could have sagebrush crafts in another. ... Hmmm, I like that name, think I'll go register it for Jackson county... J/K :)

Don't know if it's different - in Oregon you can do everything online. Since I don't live within any city limits I'd rather not drive in to town to do the paperwork. I would think it would be the same. You might have to do stuff at the city if you're in city limits and need some other kind of license - each area has different rules.

Thank you, Robin. I've already checked, and found there is an amendment form you can submit at no cost. I just didn't know if there was any advantage or disadvantage to filing for all counties or just your own. That was why I asked here, before going ahead to file the amendment, in case there is no difference whether you're filed for all counties or just your own. The thought did cross my mind though, that someone could use the same name in another county, and I wouldn't want that to happen.

Actually, you know, it's not going to make much diff...

Look what I found on the site - now don't everyone panic, this is Oregon rules:

The filing of an assumed name does not provide a user with exclusive rights to that name. The filing is required for consumer protection in order to enable consumers to be able to identify the true owner of a business.

So much for exclusivity on an ABN. :) Guess exclusivity is only for LLC and up I guess. If you want exclusivity, you'll either need to federally trademark your name, or I believe Oregon has a state trademark that would give you control of your name in the state. Or, do the LLC or corporation...

How do you go about registering with your state? Is it the same or different then going to the country clerk and doing a dba there? Thanks
In Michigan it is different. If you go to the county clerk than you are only filing for that county and the charge is about $15 for 5 years. If you go to the state (this is where you can get your LLC and INC.) It is state wide register and the cost I believe is $50 a year. And if you go to the state level you do not have to register with the county. (My county clerk's office told me that.)

HTH

It will vary by state. Some state limits your biz name only by county....You can have "Country Candles" in X county, and also in Y county. In Vermont, it is state wide. I register my DBA and I will be the only one in the entire state with that biz name. I'm sure population has a great deal to do with it.

When I was back in CA, I believe it was only by county.