Wanting to try this but not sure how to do it

I have done a search on here about the swirled candles. I like the ones that I have seen so far that are the balls that appear to have been done using an oil based paint. That is similar to the effect I am wanting only I am wanting this in a container candle using white as the base color and then adding other colors like maybe red for a strawberry cream or ivory with blue for a blueberry cheesecake or just to do some mixed colors with other scents to make the candle a little more interesting looking. I use Joywax with color chips so didn't know if maybe I could shave a little of the dye off of one of the chips and place it down the sides of the container while the wax was still warm enough to melt the shaving or if there is another way to go about doing this. I don't know the best way to go with this. I had also thought about pouring the base color and then letting it get set up some or slushy then adding the other color and swirling them together. I've not tried either of these methods yet and wanted to see if anyone else has and if so if maybe I could get some pointers on the better way to get this effect. I have had a request for one of these candles but with not knowing how to go about this have had to pass on it. Any help is greatly appreciated! TIA

I agree with you--I'd love to get that dramatic swirl effect like the ball candles you mentioned! But I have done some with less dramatic swirls that still look pretty good. I haven't tried this using dye chips, but you might be able to melt your dye chip and use it the same way. I let my wax cool until it was cloudy looking, added a few drops of liquid color, took a skewer and ran it through the drops of color to slightly blend it, then poured. The color blends much more as it pours out of the pot and creates a nice swirled candle.

The only drawback to this method is that, since you're pouring rather cool, a lot of wax clings to the side of the pot. So I heat-gunned that wax until it was liquid and poured into other containers--these, of course, didn't have that nice-looking swirl!

HTH,

Jane

It does help and I appreciate the reply from you and the pm I got today from Jenn. I was going to play with this today but got tied up with other things so I am hoping to have time to try this tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out!

I'd love to hear your results--and if you have any other suggestions. I really like the way these look and would love to do more this way, but then you have all that leftover wax that is solid colored--and not always a pretty color after it's blended!!