Mini Muffin Pan/ Weight

Would like to know what everyones thoughts are. I'm pouring tarts into the mini muffin pan, no papers, they are weighing out at .9, can I say that they are 1oz? They won't hold anymore, when I tried, I ended up getting a thin ridge that sticks out on the edges and breaks off. I put the weight on my packaging. Or do I need to find another way?

I wonder that too Diane but we buy the muffin tins and won't know till we make the tart.My tart weighs about the same as yours.I got my muffin tin at Wal Mart.If I was to go to the Dollar Store and get a tin I am sure it would be a different weight.No exact for this.

I have a metal tart mold and got others from another company.The second mold is bigger than the first mold and weigh again almost 1 ounce.I am staying with the larger tart mold.I never thought their would be different sizes from candle suppliers.

LynnS

Hi,

I use the same pans, so I'm going to "weigh" in on this one.

You cannot say that they are 1 oz, Lynne is right, 'approximately' is more near correct.....HOWEVER; The tarts, in fractions, weighs 5/8 oz - if you are filling as much as you can, and I am sure that you are. That is closer to 1/2 an oz. it is not close to an oz.

It is only one eighth of an ounce more than a half an ounce.

7/8 would be closer to a full ounce....BEING 1/8 oz less than a full oz, see.

That having been stated, you may want to recheck your wax and FO weights.

I know it gets terribly confusing sometimes. It can be an awful struggle.

I'm glad that my scale weighs in fractions, I can understand better.

If it matters to you, I have sold a lot of these tarts, and not one single person has asked me what they weigh.

I got pans that measured out at an ounce at the supermarket...they only hold, I think 12 muffins, but you can get the oz. They were also very pricey - I'm sure because I got them at the market rather than finding them at Wal-Mart.

Best wishes to you.

Fern Marie

I agree Fern-Marie.I make them, package them and sell at shows and not one customer asks weight.I sell 2 to a pack. I think a better throw with 2. Mine do weigh 7/8 of an ounce but that smaller mold I was talking about not sure because it will be UNUSED. Like I mentioned in another post a while back I had no idea metal tart molds can be different sizes/weight.

LynnS

Another thing is my tart molds are almost 1 ounce BUT the muffin tins(large) make a tart that weighs almost 3 ounces.I did not get the mini tins but the large tin.I am sure the mini tins will be much smaller than my large tins. The tart molds hold 7/8 of a ounce.

So I make 2 size of tarts(small/large).The large ones could be cut in half they are so big.

LynnS

Hi Diane,

I just don't want to see you in any kind of trouble.

Two of the 5/8, or two .9 oz of the tarts = 1 1/4 oz.

I think the confusion is that ounces are not measured in tenths. You can measure in 1/8ths, 1/4s, or 1/2s....all numbers which are divisable by 16, 16 oz = a pound. No matter how it's done .9=5/8....5/8 +5/8 =1 1/4oz

I promise you, I am only trying to help you. I hate to see a sister crafter have a problem over weights.

Is it necessary to even put the weights? I do not. I put my tarts in a candy jar type container, and let ppl pick them out on their own and bag them. I have little white, wax bags for them to put them in.

Best of wishes.

Fern Marie, I really appreciate the help. I don't want to get in trouble either.

I was pouring my tart in the white paper liners from wal-mart and they were weighing out at .7 which is 3/4 of an oz, .75, Now I poured some in the small muffin pan to see what they would weigh. My scale reads

0-lbs,0-oz's,0-tenths ( 0.0.9 ) If I put just a little piece of wax on top of that .9 it just to 1oz. so the tart is just shy 1 tenth of an oz to make a complete oz. So how could the .9 be 5/8 of an oz, on my scale it show .6 as being 5/8 of an oz. The reason I say this is I have a scale that I bought from wal-mart, I put some wax on that scale to weigh out 5/8oz, then put it on the new scale and it showed .6 beeing 5/8 opf an oz. That sounds like a good idea of not putting the weight on the tarts at all. I know 5/8 + 5/8 is 1 1/4. Maybe the muffin pan I have isn't the mini one, I probably calling it wrong.

Ahhhaaa!

Di, that may just be it. I knew something wasn't right.

I bought those mini muffin pans at Wal-Mart, but it is possible that the ones you bought are different from mine. I don't know. I bought 3 and a couple of months later, had to go get more - they were a different brand the second time. I was a little panicked, but it ended up that they held the same amount. I shouldn't asume that because you got them there that they are the same as the ones I got.

I have a scale which weighs in either grams or % and I am going to check on what my 5/8 weigh in grams. Just to be on the safe side - and for my own peace of mind.

Like I said, I do not put the weights. Keeps me from having to answer a multitude of questions. I just avoid it. I weight the tarts so I know that they are all equal. It's gotten to the point that I can pick one up and sense immediately if it's under weight.

Anyway, I am glad that you weren't mad at me for pushing the issue. I would not want that, but more importantly, I would hate to see you in a pickle.

I will let you know if I can figure out the gram weight and what it comes out to.

Fern Marie

Fern-Marie, :thumbsup: What are friends for if we can't hash something out together, I didn't get mad at you, I was just trying to clarify what I THOUGHT was right, but if I wasn't I would want someone to tell me. but I sure appreciate someone taking an interest in my thoughts. You can jump in anytime you want if you think I'm wrong.:grin2:

LOL

I'm glad that you feel that way.

Well, I thought that maybe if I weighed the tarts in grams it would answer the questions that I had in my mind. Forgetaboudit...not even close.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had the same tart pans, and the same scales.

Hope all works out for you.