Have supplies...New and nervous!

Hello,

A little intro....My name is Maureen, I'm almost 40, married and live near Buffalo, NY. I work full-time and have a small business that (right now) consists of mostly computer/paper crafts. I am new to the board and new to candle making as an adult. When I was (much) younger my sisters and I used to make candles all the time. My mom had given us a good sized rectangular deep frier that had a spigot on it. I only wish I still had it to use now.

Anyway, I have bought some starter supplies but feel really nervous about getting started. I'm not a very patient person, yet after reading about the soy candle process I am determined to take my time on this. I have tried to educate myself and it sure seems like everyone has their own preferences. It appears it's quite a trial and error system.

I purchased a Presto Pot and all the supplies to alter it, then my husband decided "maybe you should just order the one off EBAY." LOL Now I have both, but that's OK....I think I can put the other one to use also. Besides the pots, I have a starter kit that includes; soy wax, wicks, FO and color chips.

I've got a thermometer and large pyrex cup to pour with. I will be looking into getting a fire extinguisher tomorrow. I just need to get going now.

I have one question, is there a recommended household item (that I may already own) to use to measure FO. I know I saw a shot glass style cup used somewhere, but was hoping someone may have another suggestion.

I am so appreciative of the excellent advice shared on this board and look forward to being a more active participant in the future.

Maureen

Hi Maureen, and welcome to the board. :smiley2:

I am in NF, not far from you. I use a cocktail style shaker glass (Bed, Bath and Beyond) to measure FO in, or those little one oz plastic portion cups from the Party Shop that you can throw out.

You have the right approach with soy. It can be mastered, but it will require some time, thought and testing. Just like anything else.

Thanks for the response Mystical Angel....nice to hear you're close by too. I live in West Seneca.

I like your idea to use those disposable portion cups. I went looking through my cupboards and found some 2oz size. Then I decided to check how many tablespoons in an ounce and found out it's 2 (can you tell I don't cook much). So, I thought if I had a measuring spoon to dedicate to candle making I would try that for now.

Maureen

When you can get around to it you might want to buy a digital scale. About $40 at wal mart. FO is measured by weight and not volume. You can use an old coffee can for a pour pot, just bend the rim so you have a little V to pour from. If your hubby decides to make your presto pot drill the hole in the side just a hair above the bottom. I drilled one right in the middle on the bottom works great as long you have heat gun, to heat the pipe so the hardened wax flows. NOT RECOMMENDED. On the short term you could use a blow dryer instead of a heat gun. It takes longer and they don't last, see another purchase $30 heat gun at Home Depot.

Have fun !!!!

HTH

John

Thanks for the info John. I actually have a digital scale, I will look into using that. I was thinking to leave the other pot as is for now. Also, good idea for the coffee cans....I don't drink coffee, but my co-worker and her husband could probably keep me well supplied with cans! LOL

Maureen

Hi Maureen! I'm fairly new here, too. My husband got me two presto pots for Christmas and I don't know how I lived without them before. They are so much safer and easier than the method I was using. My husband also got the spigots and said he would drill the pots for me, but I'm happy with the way they are. It is great to have more than one, because you can do a couple of different colors/scents at once. I use a small lightweight saucepan to dip the wax from the presto and put it in my pouring pot. I have to pour the remaining wax back into the presto to maintain desired temp, but that's no big deal. I don't know if you are using molds, but if you are the other "can't live without" discovery for me has been the mold sealer. I was taught the ol' tape and magnets method and was having a LOT of leaks. Have fun. I've been making cp soaps for years, but when a friend wanted to be done with candles, she sold me all her stuff and gave me some lessons. I learned a lot from her, but much more from books, and much, much more right here. Keep reading and have fun! Candle making can be addictive and leads to many late nights!

Sara

Welcome Maureen!

I've been playing around with candles for 8 months now. I only sell the tarts and wickless candles. I have so many wicks and have tried so many waxes. I'm still trying to master the soy wicked........I'm a perfectionist so I may not ever sell any wicked candles......If you need additional wicks, Lonestar has a great sample pack and they carry alot of different wicks at a very reasonable price. Candle making is expensive and it is addicting.....I have about 30 samples to test now. I'm cleaning my candle shop (it's a barn type shed) out back and fixing to put some insulation in the ceiling and buy a new air conditioner. The old one is not cooling and it gets very hot here in Texas....I have a TV that sits on my workbench. a stero, and my laptop on my desk. There are many late nights but then again I'm a night owl!

Another thing that is addicting is this board.....I don't even do B&B but I've been in some co-ops lately and have the supplies when I'm ready....

So welcome aboard my friend and happy candle making!!!!!!

Pam

Welcome! We have had alot of noobs lately, and this is the #1 site for advice for sure! Many of us also frequent a couple of other candle message boards that provide a different twist on what is done here, but are worth checking out. Let us know what soy wax you are testing when you post with questions, and we can steer you in the right direction.

BTW some people may say I like noobs 'cause they taste like chicken, but that's just a nasty rumor :grin2:

geek

Hello Maureen,

You have come to the right place. If it weren't for all these great people here on CT...I probably would have given up already. I have very little patience and soy candle making has helped me out alot....it has also very theraputical for me.

Welcome and Happy Candlemaking!!! :D