A few more CP ??s

Well since I can't do my CP until tomorrow thanks to Sir BarfsAlot, here are a few more stinkin' questions:

1. At what temps do you like to mix your oils with the lye water? I read differing opinions and wondering what the prevailing temp is.

2. Ricing - what can be done if this occurs? Stick blend the crapola out of it? Pour and hope?

3. Does it help to mix the FO with a small amount of the oils before throwing in the big pot?

I think I'm going to use ICS Sea Blossom as it gets good CP reviews and apparently "behaves". Pardon all the questions but I don't want to be in the kitchen tomorrow all suited up and have no answers. TIA, y'all.

1) I typically heat my oils to 120 degrees and then mix the lye/water at about 100 degrees. I mix my lye the night before and use it at room temp.

2)Ricing happens if you are using a FO or EO that does not behave. I usually stick blend it really well... but when I use the FO again that I know creates ricing, I use a lower temp and a bit less FO and that has always taken care of it in the past for me.

3)I do not mix my FO with my oils. I just add it after the soap has traced. If ricing is not happening it is best to not stick blend to incorporate your FO but to stir it by hand.

That is the thing about CP- you never know what will happen! :D

Have fun and make sure that you post pictures!

Good questions!

You'll find a variety of temperatures used as people find what works best for them. You'll get the fewest problems if you keep the oils and the lye at similar temperatures. Not too hot, not too cool, optimal can range anywhere from 100-110F. But people soap cooler, soap hotter, use very hot lye to melt hard oils, tons of different ways to do it.

Sometimes with finiky FOs it helps to mix with a bit of oil - warm it up a little bit so it isn't such a cold shock to the hot mix. Or even add it to all the oils before you add the lye, so it's diluted before the lye hits it.

When you add the FO, stir it with a spoon first til you see how it reacts, then you can go back to the stick blender.

If things start moving fast, soap on a stick, whatever, sometimes you can beat it into submission with a stick blender, sometimes you've got to cram it in the mold as best you can and bang the heck out of it to try to remove air bubbles.

Good luck!

I like to use room temp oils and lye water then make sure it gels in a warm oven. I find I have less problem with acceleration at lower temps. I DO mix my FO with some of the oils before add it to my traced soap because I HAVE made soap on a stick before and I DO NOT like it. I think it helps to do it this way.

I have never had one rice so I can't answer that.

The only thing you want to watch out for with lower temps, esp room temp, is you can get false trace with lower temps and if you aren't experienced with process and with issues that can arise, you may confuse false trace with soap on a stick or tracing lightening fast.

The only thing I can add is if you do get ricing (separates and looks like curds and oil) and it won't come back together or seizing (solid mass) forget the CP and forge on to HP, either crockpot or oven and it usually comes out just fine.

E have you got a picture of ricing? I just can't picture this description, unless we're talking well looks like upchucking cottage cheese. Sorry for the descriptive.

Maybe a little smaller than upchucking cottage cheese, but you've got the basic idea, lol. Let's just say, you'll know it when you see it.:tongue2: