preservation in sugar scrub

CDGM

I found a great a formula for a sugar scrub using a lotion base and have been trying it out on me for quite some time. Last week I sent to about 20 testers (ok so now I know I dont need quite that many testers but hey I am a newbie! lol) Everyone has loved this and I thought I would package in a malibu tube.

BUT... my problem is this. I use WSP's base and I wrote them and yes you can add to their base as long as you add more preservative. So based on figuring it has over 25% oils in it I used the Germaben at 1% of just the liquid weight not including the sugar and it melted the sugar! So the scrub is back to lotion, I went full circle!

Can anyone tell me what I possibly did wrong? Without the preservative it was wonderfully light and had a chiffon feel to it. Now its just a sticky lotion.

TIA

First, I believe you are using the wrong preservative. I just don't believe there's over 25% oils and butters in their base lotion. But who knows, you may be right? But what if you're wrong?

Sugar dissolves in water. Water is in your lotion. Since this happened when you added preservative, I'm assuming the ones you handed out for testing didn't have preservative since this is a new problem?

We need to slow waaaay down baby, for your safety as well as others. ((hugs))

I guess I should have stated that you ADD oils as well as the base.

8oz base

4oz oils

sugar

fo

Sorry if I offended by trying and testing like crazy, I thought that was how you learn.

Oh honey, you didn't offend at all. That does help in trying to figure out how to help.

Would you be willing to start from scratch for your own recipe? Making a sugar scrub is super easy, and you'll know a lot more about what's going in and how to properly preserve it.

The base has propylene glycol, dia urea, methyparaben, propylparaben and bht I used Germaben II E at .5% of the oil and base total (I had 8oz base and 4oz oil so I used .06oz germ).... if I am remembering right these are the same ingredients as Germ II E.

I guess I should have stated that you ADD oils as well as the base.

8oz base

4oz oils

sugar

fo

Sorry if I offended by trying and testing like crazy, I thought that was how you learn.

I don't want to speak for Bunny but I understood what she was saying was testing and trying is a good thing... but if it is not properly preserved or you have doubt about it than I would not be sending out to 20 testers.

It is probably putting the cart in front of the wagon. Preservatives can be safe if you use them correctly but if not then it can be very dangerous... that would be like using way too much lye in soap or having lye pockets and sending out for people to sample.

Sometimes it is hard to refrain from getting overly excited when you start making products...... I do commend you in testing.

Well, IIE is recommended at 1%. Since the lotion was already properly preserved, hopefully, then I would have added .01 * 133 grams = 1.3 grams or approx .04 oz (don't know if you have the super accurate scale needed).

You might have used a bit too much. As a guess I'd say the extra ingredients in the preservative affected the "emulsion", or maybe I should say the dispersion of the sugar. Hard to tell when you're dealing with a base, it's kind of an unknown entity, even with an ingredient list...

Sometimes bases have extra preservative in them already to allow for adding 2% other things to it. If this one did, then you added more, you could be high as well... again, hard to tell..