Where did this bubble come from?

Alohagirl

Maybe is some water drop in your candle?

How you cute your candle?

I put this one in the freezer because it was stuck, and accidentally left it too long. When it came out of the mold it was cracked in half.

Check out this bubble. It formed between the relief holes!:eek:

Nope, no water in my wax. The candle "cut" itself by cracking in half.

Anyway, on another thread Alan answered the question of where the bubble came from. He explained that relief holes don't let air OUT, it lets air IN. Then, of course, the repour fills any air holes.

... on another thread Alan answered the question of where the bubble came from. He explained that relief holes don't let air OUT, it lets air IN. Then, of course, the repour fills any air holes.

Plz correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the primary purpose of relief holes was to ensure that the wick was NOT pulled out of place as the candle was solidifying.

The post by Alan, is that something on the new board or the old? Just trying to figure out the best way to find that post.

It makes me wonder, for those of us who use wick pins, does this mean that we really don't need to poke relief holes?

Btw, I've had that happen to me ... air bubbles in between relief holes.

edited to add: I found the post ... http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1848

Plz correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the primary purpose of relief holes was to ensure that the wick was pulled out of place as the candle was solidifying.

It helps with that, but the main purpose, for me anyway, is to prevent hidden air pockets.

It makes me wonder, for those of us who use wick pins, does this mean that we really don't need to poke relief holes?

No, it doesn't mean that at all. You can see by hers that she used a wick pin there. Pins wont stop the air pockets.

IMO, not only do you have to make the relief holes, you have to keep them open. It's kind of hard to tell from a pic, but that pocket looks very close to the relief hole. When the pockets start to form and suck the air in through the hole. If the hole has closed, but the layer of wax over it is very thin, it will reopen the hole itself as it pulls the air in. If the layer of wax over the hole is too thick and hard, it forms a pocket anyway :(

This is how it's worked in my trials and experiments anyway ;)