tapers - worth it or not

I was asked to make some taper candles and though I have thought of doing the hand dipped ones I am not sure the time it takes to make them is really feasible for selling at a reasonable price. I think it would be easier to make them using molds, but really haven't found much info on them.

Does anyone here make them either in molds or hand-dipped? Sell them? How well do they sell for you? I'm thinking if I start now, maybe they'll be ready for christmas - or maybe that is too optimistic. Just wondering if it is a worthwhile undertaking or if it is something I would be better off buying wholesale. I would love your opinions.

You can make the hand dipped ones faster if you use a water dip right after a wax dip... just like making a dip and carve candle. I make hand dipped tapers, but keep them around to redip and then carve for wedding tapers, so Im not sure how and if they would sell. I do like the look of a hand dip taper better than a molded one. You can get a nice shape to your tapers by changing the amount of time you leave the bottom or top of the taper in the water or in the wax. I like the tapers that start at the bottom kinda small then get wider in the middle then more thin at the top again. Its all in the dipping (and practice). I would love to see more pictures of tapers on the board. Been a long time since a have seen any. Bruce

HI there! I do make tapers, but not the nice smooth and shiny ones. I have 4 metal molds (makes 6 candles each) that I use, 10" ones. When I first started making them the wick I used was a real PITA to get in the molds. I use one now that I just thread thru by hand and it slides right in. I have sold tons of the grubby/bumpy tapers over the years and am now making the prim ones,(rolled spices, etc) I have a 3 day show coming up this weekend, so I'll let you know how they sell. I never liked making them because of the wicking issue, but not so bad now. HTH

I get asked if I make tapers all the time. Since all my mold candles are made w/ palm I haven't even begun to tackle that beast b/c of the nightmares I think I would have w/ wicking. But....I just had an order for a wedding & I know I missed out on alot more profit b/c the women wanted tapers & I couldn't deliver :undecided IMO, I think it would be worth it. I think you could get very creative w/ tapers.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I guess I'll experiment with both ways - ya never know how hard something is unless ya try.

Poohbaby - I'd love to hear how your show went and how your prim tapers sold. Where did you find a 6 taper mold? I found a 2 taper 10" mold at pourette, but it would take forever to make a bunch. Do you have the wicks connected for 2 molds like you would for hand dipped or are they a cut wick? (KWIM?) Do you scent them or just color them?

I'd love to see some pics!