Aromabeads

Hi everyone! I'm so excited - I just got my first bag of aromabeads - they feel so cool. Anyway, I mixed up a small batch to try out and I am just waiting for them to dry, but I have a couple of questions. First, what types of containers does everyone use to mix their beads in? Right now I am just using an apothocary jar that had a tiny crack in it that I wouldn't use for a candle since I am just making enough for a few bags to try out. But for those of you who make large quantities at a time, what do you mix them in? Would a big tupperware-like thing be ok?

And my second question is when you have your aromabeads all done and in their bags, do you package them in anything else to keep the scent in or to keep it from mixing with the others? I know I can just use tupperware containers to store them at home, but when you sell them or go to a fair, what do you put them in to keep the scents from mixing?

Thanks everyone!

You can mix and store them in a plastic container as long as it has a 5 in the triangle on the bottom. I mix mine in the 64oz mason jars. Someone said they use the big deli pickle jars.

As for selling them at fairs, use whatever look you are going for. I have used small jars with homespun, but have changed to sachet bags. But I mostly use them to make the cookie cutter air fresheners that you hang. They are the best selling way for me by far.

HTH:D

When you made the sachet bags, did you put the bags in anything to keep the scent from mixing or escaping too much? Or were they ok, just laying out? I'm just thinking about when I make votives and the scents all run together if I don't shrink wrap or something...

I put my sachet bags in a zip lock plastic bag. (I think they are 3 ml. thick) On the zip lock I have my label and scent. For the ornies I do the same. For display I place in a large basket. For storage I put them in a large plastic container. Of course, all are in the zip lock bags. HTH

I use regular JJ for mix and dry my beads in (I don't make very large quantities at one time). Larger quart size JJ would also work for larger batches. I like that the JJ have the 2 piece sealing lid. I found that the oil would leak sometimes if I used a regular one piece lid.

I leave mine in the JJ until time to package. I place mine in a sachet bag and then put the bag in a cello bag. I fold the top part of the cello bag down and put a 2x4 label on it. The label keeps the bag closed too. I think that sachet bags work the best for dispersing the scent.

I had planned to use my empty spaghetti sauce jars, etc to mix my beads but I could not get the smell of the sauce out of my jars. Until I find something better, I mix in an 8oz mason, leave them in those jars for display with a sign for pricing per oz with a sachet bag.

When I first mixed one around the first of January, I put it in a sachet bag then put it in a ziplock brand freezer bag, that wasn't a good idea. I gave it to my hubby to use in his truck a couple of weeks ago, he has problems smelling so he can't tell that most of the smell was gone. From the beads, that is. The baggie smelled just wonderful.

Looking forward to more great ideas!

Pam

i use big gallon glass jars that my friend (restaurant owner) saves for me for my "regular" line. when i want to try out a new fragrance, or make a smaller batch, i use the large jelly jars (2 quart???) with the double sealing lids. i just keep them in the jars until i am ready to package. i put mine in sachet envelopes and then put those in cello bags...fold down the bag and put my label on them. they stay super fresh for months that way, but they usually sell well before that.

on the smells in the jars...i have been successful with "de-smellin" them with vinegar and in some situations, taken a lemon half and rubbed it along the inside surface of the jar.