What did I do wrong?

I made my first batch of CPHP soap today. It didn't turn out the way I expected.

I followed the instructions by Shannon here at the CandleTech site. It can be found here: http://www.candletech.com/hpsoap/ .

For some reason my batch seems to skip some of the steps. I blended until I reached trace, then let sit for 10 mins. I checked it and it was just like the tutorial said. It would be too thick to stir, to cover and come back in 10 mins. At this point is was "supposed" to start separating and I was to stir it back in, then it would turn to applesauce consistancy. To keep stirring and eventually it would look like mashed potatoes. Well this never happened. It never separated and never had to be stirred back in. It went straight to the mashed potato consistancy! I removed from heat added FO and took some to add the color and stirred it back in. It was harding faster than I could fill my molds! With as dry as it seemed to be, my guess is not enough water? But I'm very new to this, so I have no idea!

What did I do wrong?

Here was the recipe I used. Should I have used more water? According to the lye calculator I used, I was correct on all my weights. I did use a digital scale to weigh everything. Do you see something wrong with this recipe?

4oz. Sweet Almond Oil

8oz. Olive Oil

4oz. Safflower Oil > I added some Titainium Oxide to oils to whiten

15oz. Lard

1oz. Shea Butter

4.08oz. Lye

12oz. Distilled Water

2oz. Lavender FO

Several drops of purple soap safe color to swirl in.

Once I had the Lye/Water solution, I did add 1TB Salt and 1TB Sugar. I read that salt makes a harder soap and sugar adds more lather.

What did I do wrong? :confused:

HELP!

It never separated and never had to be stirred back in. It went straight to the mashed potato consistancy! I removed from heat added FO and took some to add the color and stirred it back in. It was harding faster than I could fill my molds! With as dry as it seemed to be, my guess is not enough water?

CPHP is funny like that. You don't necessarily see every step. I know I didn't. Mine never seperated like in the tutorial. I've made 4 batches of HP, and I don't think a single one followed all the steps.

About it being dry, I think that is just the nature of HP. Most of the water cooks out and evaporates.

Just do the tongue test, and if you don't get zapped, it's fine. ;)

I've seen some very nice HP soaps from people on here, but they all have somewhat of a "textured" look. That's just the way HP is.

*lol* That's why I make CP soap now. No matter what I did, I just couldn't make HP pretty. Here's a couple of my HP experiences (it's ugly, I warn you)

http://oneflameremains.com/iedit/berriesbuttercreamsoap.jpg

http://oneflameremains.com/iedit/fruitslicessoap.jpg

mine looked like that too, until I took to whoppin the mold on the counter a few times to make it settle. I'm sure the neighbors ( I live in an apartment complex ) think I'm nuts but some of my HP I can't tell from others CP. I've done both and I like the CPHP, it just takes a little time to get used to it! You usually don't see all of the steps, I definately don't! I usually get it to trace and don't touch it at all until its attempting to escape, then stir it down usually once or twice and by then its looking gel like, and its done!

I agree with grasshper here, give it a good whopping and my has always pretty much went into the gel stage. I like cphp basically because I am able to use it right away (I am just a tad impatient;) ). But it does take a few times to get used to it.

Angie

I ran your recipe through a soap calc, and you had plenty of water.

IMO I think the salt is the problem. I know it works great in CP, have not tried it in HP, but it would make sense to me that the salt would make the soap very stiff after cooking; since it is "ready to use" after cooking. I hope that makes sense!

I make the majority of my soaps HP and use Sodium Lactate to keep soap somewhat fluid after cooking. It keeps it very workable during molding and makes for a nice firm bar afterwards.

I ran your recipe through a soap calc, and you had plenty of water.

IMO I think the salt is the problem. I know it works great in CP, have not tried it in HP, but it would make sense to me that the salt would make the soap very stiff after cooking; since it is "ready to use" after cooking. I hope that makes sense!

I make the majority of my soaps HP and use Sodium Lactate to keep soap somewhat fluid after cooking. It keeps it very workable during molding and makes for a nice firm bar afterwards.

Where are you getting your Sodium Lactate? How much do you use? When is it added to the recipe? Can vegetable glycerine but use in it's place?

Sorry for all the questions, but can't seem to find much info on it or where to buy it, unless it's out of the country.

Thanks!

I got my Sodium Lactate at Lotioncrafter. It's also available at The Herbarie and MMS. I have 60% liquid solution, not the powder. But I see that the solution is not available at Lotioncrafter anymore, they have the powder (haven't used the powder). The other 2 have the liquid solution.

It is recommended to use .5 ounce per pound of fats which is 3% and that is what I use with great results. I use the Lye Calculator from MMS. It gives you an option on using Sodium Lactate..make sure you check the box.

It is added to the lye water.

I know that SL and Glycerine can be somewhat interchangeable in other bath and body products. But added Glycerine in natural soap will make it stickier, not hard. Where as the SL will increase firmness. I also noticed more creamy bubbles using SL.

Now remember that using SL will make your HP soap very managable (I can even do intricate molds), but it won't be as fluid as CP. Also remember not to discount too much water in your HP recipe. Give it a try! I think you'll like it!

I haven't soaped in a long (read years) but I agree with all the others. I would bang my molds (mini loaf pans) and it worked wonders. I would put a small hand towel down and use that to buffer between the mold and counter...as to not scratch my counter up.

Now, since I haven't soaped in...forever...and now that I have some money to play with, I'm going to get back into soaping and going to get some SL and see how it goes with that.

Can't wait to get back to soaping!!!!!:D

PS: My avatar are of cphp soaps that I made about 7/8 years ago.