Goats milk in hp soap

Meridith

I've made cp soap using gm but have never used it in HP soap. When I made the cp gm soap, I added the lye to the frozen gm to keep it from getting too hot and curdling. It worked beautifully. When using gm in hp soap, would it be the same process or is there anything I might need to know before proceeding? I'm worried about the heat curdling the gm. Thanks!!

• 2 months later...
i do crockpot hp and add my goats milk after the cook. i deduct 3 oz. from the water that the lye is mixed into and then add 3 oz. goats milk after my cook is done. i get no curdling, no ammonia smell and the soap is wonderful........

cheryl

when you say "after the cook" which stage are you referring to? Is it the vaseline/mashed potato stage? or slightly before that? Some clarification would be appreciated, thanks :)

I followed the direction above just now (I cooked my soap in a crock pot, so far going so good) and waited until the waxy/vaseline stage to add the milk, then it riced on me very badly :sad2: in fact, the batch was separating: there were waxy bits swimming in oil. I put it in the crock for for about an hour longer or so and I didn't think it was going anywhere, so I tossed it. Even when it cooled down in the trash can, I can see that the waxy stuff stays solid and the oil do not mix. What did I do wrong? I only add about 1.5 oz of milk (and I think I discount my water around that much too).

did you read the crockpot instructions posted on th eleft under bath and body?

cheryl

Yes, I did & followed the direction to the T on this website:

http://www.candletech.com/hpsoap/

And everything goes very well, my soap even reached the thick mashed potato/vaseline-like stage (which I believed is the last stage before molding, it turned somewhat translucent & silky), and I would have mold it by then had I not planned to put the goat's milk in. I poured the milk & stirred and quickly the soap turned into clumps of waxy mass swimming in oil (much like the applesauce stage, but it's much much rough-er/clumpier). The milk that I poured in is in room temperature (I let it sit on the counter for about 30-45 mins, and I'm absolutely sure that it hasn't gone bad/rancid). Any thoughts of why this happened?

P.S. edited to include the website

the only thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps the difference in temperature between the soap and the milk was too great.

the crock pot i use has the ceramic liner which i take out and let my soap cool for a bit before i add the milk and then i stir like crazy.

perhaps if you posted the recipe you used???

did you add an fo or eo?

cheryl

These are the instructions on TDF site for making it and I did make some this way and it came out great.

"Measure or weigh out 1oz of Goat's Milk Powder for each 8oz of water. Once your oils have been melted and your lye solution is ready, take out a lb or so of melted oils. Add to this small portion of melted oils the Goat's Milk Powder. Blend with your stick blender to mix well. Now add your lye solution to the main pot of melted oils as usual. Then add the oil/goat's milk blend to your soap pot and proceed as usual.

No need to freeze or worry about over heated, scorched milk. "

http://www.todieforsoap.com/soap.htm#GM%20Soap

Thanks cheryl & Texasbrat for the replies. I use 30% olive oil, 30% coconut, 30% palm oil, 5% castor and 5% canola. I also use full amount of water suggested by the MMS lye calculator (use about 2% lye discount). I've had good success with this recipe CPed. I didn't get a chance to add my EO/FO/Color on the milk batch, it went ricing so quickly that I didn't think of adding anything.

I will try this again tomorrow, but perhaps without the milk to see if the HP method is going well by itself.