Palm Wax won't release

I hope you didn't take my post as a slam towards you, your company or your palm wax. Definitely not my intention. :)

I've heard of people having the same aforementioned problem with Astorlite palm. I don't nor have I ever used their palm wax.

I was simply commenting on my experience with the particular palm wax that I use. I make palm pillars and votives as well as containers. They have always slipped out of the mold with ease. Sometimes a bit too much because I have unmolded candles thinking they were set when in fact the center of the candle was still in a liquid state. lol

Again, I hope you did not take offense to my post. I was just adding my palm wax experience to the mix. :)

No worries :) You would have to flat out hit me between the eyes for me to take offense :wink2: I know you are trying to help too and would only look at it from that perspective. I was just trying to explain our palm wax and how it works compared to others on the market. We used to use the Astorlite palms. We're good!

I appreciate you making sure I know that.

Thanks

Brenda

Just to add my newbies two cents worth...I am currently using palm wax from candlewic, but would eventually love to try the brand currently being talked about. My palm wax flies out of my molds too, however I am clumsy in my repours {pillars} and find when I overpour and some runs down the sides of the mold I have a bear of a time getting them out! As a matter of fact I have to use pliers to pull the candle out {wick pin} and even then it's awful. Oftentimes, gotta get DBF to use his muscle!

P.S. I love palm wax so much, I am thinking of using it exclusively!

• 2 weeks later...
the darn things refused to release from the votive holders.
OK. I know this is probably a lame question, but when you said votive HOLDER, are you talking about a container in which one burns votive candles (which also might make a good mold) or are you talking about a manufactured votive mold? I am wondering if you have a wax problem or if you have a mold problem...

Is the wax actually STUCK to the sides of the mold or is the casting (candle) hung up? Sometimes mold vacuum will prevent a casting (candle) from sliding out...

Chilling can help it to release; alternatively, running hot water over the backside to heat up the mold (not the candle) will help on some stubborn ones - depends a lot on the material from which the mold is made...

The reason I ask is because I have had palm candles "hang" in containers not designed as molds - not because the wax was stuck to the container (ie. wouldn't release), but because the candle could not physically fall out because of a little ripple or unnoticed bump or whoop-de-do on the interior of the mold toward the bottom (although there was this ONE glass flowerpot that hung right under the lip where the glass bulged inward just a tad... hadda chisel that one out...). I use lots of "found" items as candle molds and as molds for other media and sometimes the tiniest flaw on the interior can prevent making a clean getaway...

I've had no problems with release with any of the palm candles I have made using palm stearic or the ones I made with no stearic at all (both wax and stearic from JBN - wax packaged from Malaysia). It releases well from aluminum, tin, hard and soft plastic, glass and china. I have not used any release agent on anything except the new aluminum molds I just got - I sprayed them lightly with silicon and wiped it down after a few moments (I'll probably spray them every few pours as aluminum tends to oxidize slightly without a little TLC and I want them to stay nice).

I hope this helps...

OK Mei-Mei (hadn't forgotten you),

I finally got these done today because I had a make up class for our palm wax votives and pillars. I used our large crystal palm, 7% votive soy, and 2 tsp of our palm stearic - all to 1 lb of the palm wax. Heated to 190, heated the molds, poured mixture into pouring pot, added dye and 1 oz FO, stirred about 30-45 seconds and poured it into the votive cups (pins were heated along with the cup). Waited about 20-30 minutes for a nice hard top, poked two relief holes and second poured to the top. Waited about an hour or so until they were cool - and they pulled right out of the mold - no problem.

If you bought the stearic from us, just let me know and I will send you more - just in case it got mixed up with something else by someone at our warehouse.

Thanks

Brenda

OK Mei-Mei (hadn't forgotten you),

I finally got these done today because I had a make up class for our palm wax votives and pillars. I used our large crystal palm, 7% votive soy, and 2 tsp of our palm stearic - all to 1 lb of the palm wax. Heated to 190, heated the molds, poured mixture into pouring pot, added dye and 1 oz FO, stirred about 30-45 seconds and poured it into the votive cups (pins were heated along with the cup). Waited about 20-30 minutes for a nice hard top, poked two relief holes and second poured to the top. Waited about an hour or so until they were cool - and they pulled right out of the mold - no problem.

If you bought the stearic from us, just let me know and I will send you more - just in case it got mixed up with something else by someone at our warehouse.

Thanks

Brenda

Thanks! I did get the stearic from you guys, but I honestly think it was my batch of palm. I tried palm from another place and it actually flew out of the molds. You don't have to worry about sending me any more; no problem.:grin2: