Thin film on container after burn?

Hi everyone,

I am new to candle making - only for 6 weeks now...I am having a problem with a thin film being left on the container after a burn. Do I have too much scent in it or is it the wax? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I am using J50 wax and wick44-24-18z for small containers 1-2" in diameter. No additives. Thanks!

You may not be using a large enough wick to completely melt the wax off the sides of the container. Usually though, when the candle is burned about halfway down, the heat on the jar takes care of any film left. What type/size jar are you using? Also, you may need a 44-32 wick, instead of the 44-24.

It has been my experience that some of the one-pour blends will leave a film. This isn't enough to really be called "hang-up", and the jar sides get plenty hot enough to melt it off; it just sticks to the jar, for some reason, instead of melting and running down into the meltpool. You can't really see it while the candle is burning, sort of like little blobs of vaseline on the glass, but it does show up when the glass is cool. When I use a wick series designed for more viscous formulas, such as rrd or eco, I seem to get less of this than I do with zincs and lx's. But I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never get a really sparkling jar with some wax blends.

I agree with Angela. When I use that size with the creamy container waxes, I get a slight film also. You could go up to like a 44-28-18z. It looks like a film rather than wax because of the amount petrol in the container wax. ;)