Jump to content

Thin film on container after burn?


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I am new to candle making - only for 6 weeks now...I am having a problem with a thin film being left on the container after a burn. Do I have too much scent in it or is it the wax? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I am using J50 wax and wick44-24-18z for small containers 1-2" in diameter. No additives. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You may not be using a large enough wick to completely melt the wax off the sides of the container. Usually though, when the candle is burned about halfway down, the heat on the jar takes care of any film left. What type/size jar are you using? Also, you may need a 44-32 wick, instead of the 44-24.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It has been my experience that some of the one-pour blends will leave a film. This isn't enough to really be called "hang-up", and the jar sides get plenty hot enough to melt it off; it just sticks to the jar, for some reason, instead of melting and running down into the meltpool. You can't really see it while the candle is burning, sort of like little blobs of vaseline on the glass, but it does show up when the glass is cool. When I use a wick series designed for more viscous formulas, such as rrd or eco, I seem to get less of this than I do with zincs and lx's. But I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never get a really sparkling jar with some wax blends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...