Quick Wick Question-- Not so quick

Hi guys,

I'm still pretty new at this, but since my last post I've made 10 candles and am testing them all over my house--fabulous! I'm making pillars and votives with Candlewic's CBL-141 blend (parafin) and they look great and throw really well, both hot and cold. The only problem I'm still having is wicking (surprise, surprise!). After testing with the wicks that came with my Yaley Molds (which I believe to be Medium square braid) and didn't like the way they burned, I ordered 2 sample packs of wicks--first tried the CD (coreless), but I didn't like the way they burned... my melt pool was really small, and when I wicked up, the flame was crazy (and completely dangerous w/ 2 dogs running around the house!). Then I tried Paper Core wicks, and I love the way they burn-- perfect melt pool, good sized flame, good throw, etc. Only problem w/ them is the mushrooming on the top. I'm thinking of ordering another sample pack or two of different wicks, but am unsure of which to try. I've read on this board that the LX wicks are good, but I'm not absolutely sure that they're appropriate for my application (I've read conflicting reviews-- one says that the LX is more for crystal wax or gel candles...) I would love if some of you could share what type of wick you use for parafin pillars and the results you've gotten (i.e. good melt pool, mushrooming, etc.) to point me in the right direction before I spend a decent amount of money on every single type of wick made!:)

TIA,

My personal preference is the square braid. There are several sizes of them you can get, but they are not as easy to use as pretabbed and primed wicks. What I do for three inch pillars is dip a length of #1 or #2 square braid in paraffin till the bubbles stop coming out, take it out and pull it taut till it hardens. Then I use it to wick a mold just before pouring.

Cored wicks I like too since the wick will stand upright and not fall over and burn an offset pool.

geek

Thanks, Geek, for the info. I agree w/ the idea that i like the cored wicks beacuse the wick stays up (it seems that i don't have to hug pillar while burning). The pillars w/ the square braid wicks I did are all burning unevenly and driving me crazy! Do all cored wicks mushroom?