Your cost of finished candles

dynamike

I know that the finished price of candles differ from quite a few factors but I would like to know what the average amount a 8 and 16 once candle is costing you.

A local guy told me that its about $5 for 16 once soy. That seems a little high.

Thanks

Mike

I don't use soy, but I don't think $5.00 for a 16oz soy candle is high. Especially if it's a container candle. I include the shipping costs for supplies when figuring out my per candle cost. I don't see anyway around that. For example, when I figure I include the cost of the wax+shipping cost, then divide that by the # of lbs of wax to get my per pound cost. I can't really figure out the coloring cost, but everything else is pretty easy.

Ex. 1# wax makes 8 votives, 1oz fo per#of wax on average. Wicks 100 for $6.00= $.06each, and about $0.25 each for packaging including cello bag, warning label, my label and ribbon.

$1.20 wax

$1.00 fo

$0.48 wicks

$2.00 packaging

$4.68 divided by 8 votives=cost of $0.585 each

I use pure soy and my cost for a 16 oz. varies from $4.50 to $5.25, depending on the FO. I just dont see a way for me to lower my cost without cutting corners, and I refuse to do that. FO is such an expensive part of this business (and the most fun!), but, for a highly fragranced candle, FO will run up the cost quite a bit. In my experience, soy candles are definitely more expensive to make! HTH

I think my post was totally wacked...sorry....I was talking about shipping TO the client. When you sell wholesale to a client you ship to, do you include shipping in the cost? I guess it would be very difficult to include shipping as nice as that makes it for the client. It could vary so much I really don't see how it could be done.

I think my post was totally wacked...sorry....I was talking about shipping TO the client. When you sell wholesale to a client you ship to, do you include shipping in the cost? I guess it would be very difficult to include shipping as nice as that makes it for the client. It could vary so much I really don't see how it could be done.

Clients pay wholesale plus shipping. :cool2:

With J223 wax, LX wicks, glue dots, containers, FO, & labels:

4 oz. jelly jars - $1.70 (buying glassware locally)

4 oz. tins - $1.77

4 oz. hex jars - $1.91

6 oz. tins - $2.33

8 oz. jelly jars - $2.72 (buying glassware locally)

I don't sell all of these sizes, but I did figure up the costs for all of them. I only make candles that I can sale for $4-$5, because people in my area will not pay any more than that.

I can easily see a 16 oz container costing $5 for me, but then again, I'm a "little guy". I don't buy in bulk. The most I usually buy is 48 containers at a time.

Candlefreak, were you including shippingt costs into that $4.00?

I am able to pick up my wax, containers, and some FOs...but I do factor in cost of gas into the price of wax, etc...

most FOs are shipped

so a break down would be:

Container 1.25

FO (1oz pp) 1.50

wax 1.10

wicks 0.14

labels 0.20

$4.19

8 oz. jelly jars - $2.72 (buying glassware locally)

This seem high to me, but shipping may be a big factor or where your supplies come from. Here is my breakdown for the 8 oz. jelly jar:

Jar = $ .53 (local purchase)

Wax = 7 oz @ $1.23/lb = $ .54

Dye = approx $ .10

Scent = 1/2 oz @ $1.25/oz = $ .63

Wick = $ .07

Label = $ .13

Total = $2.00

I thought that was a high estimate because I figure the scent for an 8 oz. bottle but buy mostly 16 oz. bottles.

HTH ~ Pam

Pam - the reason my cost is higher for the 8 oz. jelly jars is because the supplier is an hour away. I incorporate gas costs into my cost.

Also, they are in the same state as me, so I pay nearly 10% tax.

This is if I get almost everything locally from Tennesse Candle Supplies:

8 oz Jar - $0.48

7 oz wax ($1.59 per pound, J50) - $0.70

Dye - $0.10

Warning Label - $0.04

Candle Label (printingbydesign) - $0.20

LX Wick - $0.07

Wick Sticker - $0.02

0.45 oz FO (4 oz bottles from JS, average @ $2.25 per oz) - $1.02

So that's $2.63. Add a bit for an 70 mile drive, and that's my cost.