question about premade bases

soapermom

I don't use bases. nothing against those who do, I just LOVE making things on my own.

that being said, I ordered some sample bases, shampoo, bubble bath, shower gels etc... to play with and check outand invesitgate. ( i like to compare my own stuff, she what mine is lacking or is better than in the pre mmades...

My question is, with clear gel bases.. shapoo wash anything... do they ALWAYS go white and/or milky with addition of FO?? how do you get/keep a clear base?? Does this clear up later or do they stay this color? So far i am disappointed... and I have used FO's from everywhere, playing with this stuff.. they all turned white...

I've noticed that some FOs will turn just about anything clear to cloudy. The best shower base I've used that seems to stay clear is the base from SOS. I love my shower gel concentrate from WSP, but it seems to get the white look quite a bit lately. I always wonder what it is in the FO that makes it do that sometimes. Coconut Lime Verbena - stays clear all the time. White Ginger & Amber - cloudy sometimes, sometimes not. Does anyone have a scientific explanation for this? I'm not much help, just curious too :)

I've noticed that some FOs will turn just about anything clear to cloudy. The best shower base I've used that seems to stay clear is the base from SOS. I love my shower gel concentrate from WSP, but it seems to get the white look quite a bit lately. I always wonder what it is in the FO that makes it do that sometimes. Coconut Lime Verbena - stays clear all the time. White Ginger & Amber - cloudy sometimes, sometimes not. Does anyone have a scientific explanation for this? I'm not much help, just curious too :)

Well - my explanation is not scientific but it is due to the different compositions of the oils and how it interacts with the base. Some react and some don't - it's a test thing again. You can typically keep clear bases clear, if it has reacted with the FO or EO, by mixing the FO with Polysorbate 20 before adding to the base.

HTH