liquid weight vs solid weight

When I am measuring 1 lb of wax and I want to add FO about how much FO do I measure out. Like I made a candle and I used 1 lb of wax and I then added 1 oz of FO does that sound right? 1oz of wax is the same weight as 1 oz of FO, right? Like a cup of milk is the same as a cup of butter. This may sound crazy but I know sometimes solids are different than liquids.

Thanks for you help, Connie

You have to weigh your FO and your wax; ounces are based on weight, not volume. 1 ounce FO PP is roughly 6% FO, 1.25 roughly 7% FO and 1.5 about 8% FO.

If you know the mold/jar capacity, multiply x .8 to get the solid weighted, amount. i.e, for a 12 ounce jar, that is 12 x .8= 9.6 ounces (solid) of wax.

e

The place where most new folks get in trouble is that a FLUID ounce isn't the same as an ounce by weight. At least not always.

Hobby stores tend to sell FO by the fluid ounce which makes things worse, because most folks start off with hobby store products. It confuses people. Candle supply places sell thier FO by weight.

As far as weight goes, a pound of feathers is the same weight as a pound of lead.

The other posters are right - fluid ounces and weight are completely different. You need to weigh everything in order to get an accurate measurement. Weigh out 1 pound of wax and weigh out 1 oz of FO. Now, if you are doing an odd amount of wax, say 7.4 ounces you will need to figure out what 6% fragrance oil would be based on that amount of wax (I think it's something like .47 oz, but I don't do math well early in the morning, lol). :)