J223 and melt pool?

I am testing two 12 oz apothecary jars with J223. One jar has two HTP83 wicks and the other has two LX18 wicks. At first, I thought I was going to have trouble getting a full melt pool but now, with a little less than 2 inches of wax left in the jars, the entire jar is liquid. Is that what I am looking for?

I would do a test with smaller wicks and see how that does and compare the burns.

Thanks for your response. I have been searching the old posts for any information...the information that I found was re: the width of the melt pool, not the depth. I was soooo thrilled that I had achieved the full melt pool, then a bit nervous when the whole thing liquified! :shocked2:

I am not sure what depth I should be looking for, tho. I will try a smaller wick size and see how it goes. Thanks for your help.

Well I would think a smaller wick is something you shoulf try. A deep wax pool is releaseing fragrance from .. as you said two inches deep. There for the candle may run out of fragrance before it is done burning. " The part the customer remembers the most" " smaller wick, more patiances" The jar it's self help in getting a full wax pool, because of the design with the smaller opening. the heat is transferred to the outside of the candle wax helping it to melt. wick placement is also a factor. ie. " edge distances " Did your wicks have any problem with falling over is that deep of wax pool?

Well I would think a smaller wick is something you shoulf try. A deep wax pool is releaseing fragrance from .. as you said two inches deep. There for the candle may run out of fragrance before it is done burning. " The part the customer remembers the most" " smaller wick, more patiances" The jar it's self help in getting a full wax pool, because of the design with the smaller opening. the heat is transferred to the outside of the candle wax helping it to melt. wick placement is also a factor. ie. " edge distances " Did your wicks have any problem with falling over is that deep of wax pool?

So far the wicks are staying upright with no problem, and they seem to be spaced correctly - the jar is not getting "hot", just warm. I have had a little soot on one (HTP83 wicks).

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. Using a smaller wick will be my next step.

What depth melt pool do you look for in your candles?