I just tried my first layer...

The bottom layer is blue (amaretto). The top layer was supposed to be white (JS vanilla buttercreme crunch). My top layer is a very light blue, but it smells likte JS VBC. What did I do wrong? I poured down the side, after it filmed over, at 5 degrees hotter than I had poured the first layer.

Well at least it didn't all mix together. Is white a hard color to layer?

You might have poured just a little too soon and broke through to the first layer. That would let the other wax blend in with the white. You might wait just a bit longer, next time.

If that's what happened, you wouldn't have noticed with a colored wax, because that color would have masked the bleeding.

Painters have a saying... if you take 5 gallons of white paint and add one drop of red paint, you get 5 gallons of pink paint.

No hard, fast rule, that I know of. Some wait only until there's a film, I like to wait a bit longer. I wait until the first layer is almost totally solid. I think some wait til it's totally cooled.

If you punch relief holes in the first layer, you'll know what level of solidity it's at, plus the second layer wax will fill the hole and help tie the two together, if they don't bond right otherwise, for any reason.

The way I've done layers is I actually wait until the first color is completely hardened, then I take my heat gun and zap it just enough that there's a slight film of melted wax, then I pour the second color. The melted wax will allow the second color to adhere to the first so you don't pull it out of the mold and have two sections of candle in your hand. My white remains white with just a little bit of a hint of whatever color in between the two. So in this case, it'd have just a hint of light blue.

Just remembered...

Been so long since I've done any layers...

You can pour a thin layer of the second wax on top of the first layer, then wait a few minutes, til that sets up and pour the rest. I'm talking about maybe 1/8 inch, or the like.

I used to do that not only to keep the colors from mixing, but to give it a little transition. A little bit of purple, between the red and blue, or whatever, rather than just a LINE. I just liked the look better.