U will not believe this!!

joyofsoycandle

Ok, I had posted a while ago about how the hospital gift shop here in town bought a bunch of my candles...etc. Well anyway, I dropped the votives off to them while I finish up with the jars....she had a display all set up and has them arranged very nicely. Looks cute! Anyhow, guess how much she is getting for a 2-PACK of my votives?? Just take a guess.........................she is selling them for $7.50/2pack!! AND THEY SELL!!!!!!!! Can you all believe that??? I am just in shock lol. have any of you ever paid $7.50 for TWO votives?? I cant believe she is getting that much money for them! I just had to tell all of you, now im curious to see what she is going to mark the jar candles up to....:shocked2: :rolleyes2

Guest EMercier

I agree with the supply and demand factor. I'm sure hospital gift shops make a killing because people are there to give gifts and there is no other place around, so they are in a way forced to shop there for loved ones. That's great news!

No, I've never seen votives so expensive before. Good for you! I agree with the others that it has to do with supply and demand, and shoppers having no other choice. It's sort of like how they can charge $2 for a glass of soft drink at the restaurant when you could get a 2-liter bottle of the same thing (and probably less diluted!) at the grocery store for the same price.

Yeah, you are all right. I just am in shock at how much she can sell them for. I guess since this is a small town, there arnt alot of places to get handmade candles. But, this hospital is small, there really arnt alot of people that actually are admitted and stay in this hospital, they get transferred somewhere else if they have to stay. So, its mostly the employees, nurses, that type of people who buy the candles. They buy alot of partylite candles and say those are expensive, but my candles at $7.50 for a 2pk....those are expensive!! lol She bought them from me, at my retail price. And i sell them for $3.00/2pk. So I just couldnt believe that! :shocked2:

How hard was it for you/others to get your product into Hospital Gift Shops? It sounds like a good place for my stuff. And there's one literally a stone's throw from my apartment. Not that I'm throwing rocks at the hospital, mind you . . . !

Well, i kind of got my foot in the door because my boyfriend works in the hospital, and was talking to all the girls/nurses/etc about my candles and then they wanted some, and when they got some and liked them, told other people and Vicky who works in the gift shop heard about it, asked to see them, i brought them in and gave her a couple samples, and she ordered! She said she is really happy with them and everyone has come in daily waiting for the candles to arrive when they found out she ordered them for the gift shop!

But, if you dont happen to know someone that works in a hospital, or whatever the case may be, you could still always take samples in, i think thats how i hooked her, i let her pick a couple jars and votives and she loved them!! :yay:

I was really nervous too, I came here to ask for advice i think, before i went into talk to her lol. But I believe a good product will speak for itself! :smiley2: So just go in and politely mention that you make handmade items...and that you would like to offer them some samples to try. And give them a list with your scents and items available...might be a good start.

That's interesting. No wonder healthcare costs so much. If that goes on in a giftshop, imagine the inflated prices for medical services/products.

Did you tell that lady $3 was your wholesale price? It might be possible that the hospital/giftshop is supposed to do a certain amount of community service, so by purchasing candles from you they can say they support the local community.

I hope her $7.50 isn't too high, because if it is that could mean no re-orders. But, like every hospital giftshop, anything in one costs a ransome.

I just noticed you posted again sockmonkey lol...um nooo that wasnt even my wholesale price, i dont do wholesale. I sold her the votives at my regular price of $3.00 for a 2pk. And my boyfriend just went into the gift shop a day after they were delivered, only 5 different scents were left!! She had over 20 scents, 1 two pack in each scent! This is just the votives im talking about. Most of her order was jars. And sooo they are selling QUICKLY!

Many of our local hospital's and large business have Vendors in their lobbies selling various products. I set up last week at our local VA Hospital and sold

$868 :yay: worth of candles, tarts and tart burners in one day. Their fee for allowing you to sell is 10% of sales. I am now on their Vendor list for 2 days per month. I don't know if I will sell that much every time I am there. But you never know.

Mary Lou