Confused about Additives

Hi, all... I have read the archives and have seen ppl's advice about their formulas, but I am now confused about what I just read on the GenWax site. I thought the idea was to add vybar 103 to hurricanes to make them harder and that it was supposed to help with the translucency. Well, Genwax says its a hardener and makes candles opaque. Then I looked at the Micro wax and they said that it makes candles harder and translucent. The opposite of what I thought. Can I get an opinion ? Thanks..:)

As DP points out, Vybar opacifies like crazy so people don't generally use it for hurricanes.

Universal Additive is used for similar purposes but maintains more translucency, so some people use a little of that. I'm going to try it next because I've had mixed results with micro.

Microcrystalline is a special kind of paraffin that's used as an additive. It can make the wax stronger and less brittle. Some people have excellent results with it. I think it's a matter of using the right micro with the right hurricane wax. There are various types of both on the market so there could be some trial and error involved (if there's one type of candle where I hate the "error" part it's hurricanes).

Translucent Crystals is a type of Fischer-Tropsch synthetic wax. It increases hardness and MP without adding opacity. I don't like the high cloud point of that stuff. I was embedding a photo and after a little while couldn't see sh*t.

Translucent Crystals is a type of Fischer-Tropsch synthetic wax. It increases hardness and MP without adding opacity. I don't like the high cloud point of that stuff. I was embedding a photo and after a little while couldn't see sh*t.

Oops. THought it was the same as the micro. Been a while since I played with either.

If you want to use a micro wax as a hurricane additive try Micro 180 at 1/2 oz. pp. Most hurricane waxes tend to be brittle and the micro 10 helps with that. You can add 1 tsp pp of UA to help with air bubbles. I also add 1 tsp pp of powder mold release. Don't have a clue if it is needed. I started using it when I started making hurricanes and don't want to risk not using it.