first time test burning

Finally started making candles in an 8 ounce jelly jar. So this is my first test burn. I have 4 jars, I used 3/4 J223 and 1/4 6228. I got some sample wicks from wick it and I used one of each 740, 745, 750, 755. They have burned for 2 hours so far. The 740 is about 1/2" from the sides and looks good, the 745 is almost to the sides of the jar. The 750 and 755 seems to have a much deeper burn and not as much to the sides. Does it sound like the 740 is the best choice? Also the 750 girgled for 5 seconds and then a hole in the center by the wick opened up, what is that from? Thanks. Karissa

Sounds like you had an air bubble that was trapped in the wax when the wax melted some it let out the air. I know I have read in a lot of places that for an 8 oz regular jelly jar you should but getting a full melt pool within about 2-1/2 hours. Since the standard time is one inch per hour on melt pool. But a lot of times you will not get a full melt pool on the first burn but it eventually catches up on other burns. HTH