Engineering Project.

Hello;

Sorry if I put this thread in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where it should be.

I'm a student in an engineering class and am working on a project involving presto pots and spigots. For my presentation I need to interview some experts on the topic and get their opinion on the topic.

I would really appreciate it if you could take some time and pm me some questions - especially if you've been making candles profesionally or for upwards of five years; but any opinions would be helpful.

If you could include your names I would be grateful, as it would be a better cited source for my presentation; however, this is not strictly necessary.

Thanks so much for your time and help.

1. How long have you been making candles?

2. Do you do it professionally or on an amateur scale?

3. What equipment (ex. presto pot, professional melter) do you use to melt your wax?

4. Does your melter have a spigot on it?

5. If so, is it manually or electrically operated?

6. If it is manual, do yo uthink it would be an improvement to have an electrically operated spigot instead?

7. Have you ever burned your hand on it?

8. If so, is it made of brass?

9. If so, would it be an improvement if the spigot were made of a material that did not get as hot?

Again, thank you for your help and your time. I really appreciate it, and it will really help my project.

I'll move it to General Candle, since it's about making candles. Doesn't fit there or business really, but you'll get a bit more traffic over in General...

1. How long have you been making candles?

4 years

2. Do you do it professionally or on an amateur scale?

I've got a small business

3. What equipment (ex. presto pot, professional melter) do you use to melt your wax?

3 presto pots

4. Does your melter have a spigot on it?

2 of them do, 1 does not

5. If so, is it manually or electrically operated?

manually

6. If it is manual, do yo uthink it would be an improvement to have an electrically operated spigot instead?

might make it a bit easier. For a presto pot, not really worth it.

7. Have you ever burned your hand on it?

nope

8. If so, is it made of brass?

1. How long have you been making candles? About 4 months seriously.

2. Do you do it professionally or on an amateur scale? Still very amateur, planning to go professional at some point.

3. What equipment (ex. presto pot, professional melter) do you use to melt your wax? No presto pots here. I use something similar and about half the size though.

4. Does your melter have a spigot on it? Yes

5. If so, is it manually or electrically operated? Manual

6. If it is manual, do yo uthink it would be an improvement to have an electrically operated spigot instead? Meaning you press a button and the wax comes out like with a coffee machine? Can't hurt but not absolutely needed.

7. Have you ever burned your hand on it? Not on the spigot, the tap is insulated. On the pot yes.

8. If so, is it made of brass? The spigot, yes. With an insulated handle.

9. If so, would it be an improvement if the spigot were made of a material that did not get as hot? On handles that are not insulated I would imagine it could be useful. All boils down to what spigot you use.

If you really want my opinion, what would be a great project is focussing on making a more affordable melting pot for chandlers that can melt bigger amounts of wax quickly without having to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars. Something simple like a presto, but bigger. The spigot is really not that much of a hassle if installed properly. Hope the above answers help.:smiley2:

Katinka Bezuidenhout, South Africa (for your project).

aromacandle@telkomsa.net

I was just wondering - what if the presto were still inexpensive, or only about $5 more than a regular presto with spigot on ebay?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

About $5 or so more sounds great, because sometimes you don't have somebody around that can drill the hole and fit the accessories and the ones I've seen on ebay are about $50.

:smiley2:

Katinka