Coloring Soap? (CP or CPOP)

heather_dw

If you want a colorant use something oil-based for CP soap. The Pigment Lady has some great ones.

You might want to consider using a natural colorant. I am sure that you have a lot in your kitchen right now and it eliminates buying another thing and I love the look of natural colorants. There was a thread on this before the meltdown....

Paparika, cocoa powder, madder root powder, annatto seed, juices or teas in place of the water... the sky is the limit. :)

HTH.

ohh,.. when do you add the color/clay?

I really want to try a green swirl scented cucumber melon for my first attempt but I know thats pretty ambitious for my first try :eek:

Is there a place where i can buy both lye and colorants?

It would be nice to have natural ones, but if i cant get those, I will settle for something else :-)

Also, where is this "pigment lady"?

I do not know of a place where you can purchase lye and colorant at the same place. I just buy my lye at Safeway or Fred Meyer's. It is cheaper than all of the hazmat fees that I would need to pay to ship a #50 bag.

You are brave attempting a color swirl with a FO for your first batch of CP. I would strongly recommend doing a plain batch with no FO or color so you get the hang of it. I had 3 failed batches before a successful batch so you might be wasting a lot of money. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

I googled The Pigment Lady and this is her website. She has good colorants and a bit goes a long way.

http://members.aol.com/pigmntlady/

The clay or natural colorant would be added like normal colorant... after trace. To swirl you will need to move quickly and seperate your batches......

HTH.

Jennifer

I'm about to say forget it as far as color goes,..

you would think there would be somewhere that would sell lye and color.. since you need them both to make soap?

Everywhere I go, the colors are so expensive and I have no clue what I am supposed to be looking for :-(

Supplies To Die For in Texas sell colorant and lye. You'll have to do some online shopping to get them both from the same place. I usually get my lye from the grocery store (red devil, next to the draino). I get all my colorants online because I don't have a supplier close by. Try to find a supplier in your region to cut down on shipping costs.

yeah,.. i havent found lye in my area yet.. still looking :-(

As far as the color goes,.. I have no idea what im looking for?

I know there are oxides and micas and even liquid and then there are the clays but I have no idea what the difference is between all of them so I have no idea what to look for :-(