Containers

Well, I placed my first order for containers and am just getting some simple ones to do testing with. But, in thinking about what I want to present to my friends and family, I want something a little different for containers. What are some of the different containers that you have used? Where should a person that is new to this look to find good collections of containers? And finally what should one be looking for in a container? Does it have to have a lid?

I use 9 oz oval hex and they work great for me. I tried tureens, but I had trouble wicking them to get a full melt pool. I am also using some 8 oz square tins that are really cute, and with tins, you don't have wet spots!

I want to try the metro/status jars to look a little less "country". I'm still pretty new to this, but the way I understand it a jar with a consistent diameter (same width all the way down) is a lot easier to wick than ones that are smaller/larger in diameter in places.

Having said all that...I order my jars from Lonestar (they are closest to me, and I get all my wax there), the tins from specialty bottle.com. There is another site that people mentioned on here for containers...but I can't think of it right now.

HTH

~Heather~

Plus, I DO use a lid. It keeps the dust and stuff out, and the fragrance in until the candle has an owner!

The type of container is really just a preference and ideally close to you to save on shipping.

Like htaylorrn said, a container that is the same diameter will be easier on wicking issues if you're new to the whole jar process. I love the look of the balmoral jars, but they're a bitch to wick (IMO)

I think I can give you a few pointers on containers.

First of all...take your time and select the ones you really like and want to stay with. There is so much testing required that you have to do every time you change containers ( with each Fragrance Oil used). Container "hopping" only delays and winds up costing a lot of money if your intent is to not stay with the container you are testing in. The container is really important to me because it projects the image of your company/candle/work.

I agree that when the diameter is the same all the way down it is easier. Not always the most attractive, but easier. Obviously if you wick for the wide part of the jar, it can be too hot ( and dangerous) for the narrow part of the jar. A heavier, better quality jar is best for candles that are not the same diameter all the way down.

I would suggest that whatever container you use has a lid or a covering. The cold throw does dissipate over time....and not really very long in my opinion. One of my very favorite jars is the tumbler that the Votivo company uses, which is readily available and very inexpensive, but no lid. You can get an adhesive covering for them. The status jars are very nice and do have lids. http://www.tayloredconcepts.com/apothecary%20glassware.htm

Everyone has different opinions that are equally as valid. It does all boil down to personal choice. Not sure if anyone has noticed this with their candles, but with the waxes I have used, the thicker jars have a tendency to have more wet spots than the thinner ones.....even with them heated.

The Dallas Dean and Trish said it very well. I would choose a container with a smaller diameter. If you go with the 4" diameter or something short and squat, it will be much harder to wick.

If you want something more upscale (less country), I would try the metro/status jar. It is really easy to wick. I get mine from www.candlesandsupplies.com or www.carolinacandlesupplies.com . Candles and supplies is cheaper though so check there first.

www.fillmorecontainer also has some really cute jars in lots of different sizes. If you want something more country, the square mason is really cute and not too hard to wick. I get mine from fillmore.