Do you charge tax on your internet sales?

islandgirl

I haven't heard one way or the other on this issue. However, my CPA is pretty darn good about keeping my up to snuff and he hasn't said that I need to collect tax from every person I sell to outside my home state. The bulk of my sales is outside my state and also sell quite a bit internationally.

Each state is different so I think you will have to look into what your state requires. However, for my state I charge sales tax for any sale that would be shipped within my state. Also, I must charge tax on shipping and handling as well. Most people hate having to pay the tax on S&H but it's the law. Anything outside my state and country, I've never collected sales tax. For some that's the beauty of purchasing on the internet. The buyer doesn't have to pay sales tax.

I haven't heard one way or the other on this issue. However, my CPA is pretty darn good about keeping my up to snuff and he hasn't said that I need to collect tax from every person I sell to outside my home state. The bulk of my sales is outside my state and also sell quite a bit internationally.

Each state is different so I think you will have to look into what your state requires. However, for my state I charge sales tax for any sale that would be shipped within my state. Also, I must charge tax on shipping and handling as well. Most people hate having to pay the tax on S&H but it's the law. Anything outside my state and country, I've never collected sales tax. For some that's the beauty of purchasing on the internet. The buyer doesn't have to pay sales tax.

That is weird, do you pay tax on stamps at the post office? My understanding is that postage is a service, not an item that you are selling. If you go to the car dealership, they charge tax on the parts that you buy but not on the labor since it is a service.

My understanding is that sales tax is for items within the state that you are located. Out of state transactions are not eligible for state sales tax. Some states will incorporate out of state transactions in their income tax forms (I know that Idaho does this...where if I live in Idaho and purchase something online from out of state, they ask you to report and pay the sales tax to them).

But I guess your state is trying to get income from whatever they can! Doesn't seem right.

in texas you have to charge tax on shipping too. i don't often ship stuff through UPS or FedEx, so i don't remember if you have to pay tax when going through a shipping company too. if not, maybe we have to collect tax b/c it's more of a shipping AND handling charge (the service of us shipping and packaging). dunno...