Cannot find right wick and no hot throw!!!

MCee

Hi there, I am having a really hard time finding a wick for my 3” diameter straight sided jar candle. I have been on this form before and there were some good recommendations but ... still nothing. Please, if anyone can get to the bottom of this that would be amazing! I cannot for the life of me get a hot throw with a single wick. The only time I can get a hot throw is double wicking but the jar either gets too hot (in my opinion) or the melt pool is about 3/4” deep by the 4 hour mark. From what I gather, this is a no no. I can’t even imagine how anyone has a hot throw with a single wick at this point. I also cannot find a single wick that will melt the wax to the edges, let alone obtain a full melt pool. 

i have tried HTP, Eco, Premier, RRD. Before I order any other wicks I was hoping someone can help. I find it hard to believe I can’t find a wick in any of the above series. 

please help, I am so discouraged. I have been testing for 6 months!!!!! 

The pic was taken at the 4 hour mark. 

60C3E2B6-3CC5-43FB-B8D7-1537868290DB.jpeg

Hi, thanks for your reply. I’m so frustrated! 

I’m using Midwest container wax with fragrance oil from Canadian Suppliers. 

I heat wax to about 180

stir in 8% Fo at about 170 ish

pour right away

I’m totally at a loss for words and very discouraged. 

Have you dug into any of your candles to see if the fragrance sank toward the bottom?  I find midwest soy wax is prone to that. First noticed when swapping wicks.  The middle toward the bottom felt wet and soft for months.   Adding beeswax in my case helped. Pouring cooler helped a lot too.

I use cd wicks almost exclusively in Midwest soy. Occasionally an eco is needed for a harder to burn or a CSN for a fragrance that “eats” wicks. 

I haven’t noticed fragrance sinking to the bottom. I will have to do some digging! I’m almost thinking to purchase tins with a wider diameter so I can double wick at this point. Not sure what else there is left to do. :( 

14 hours ago, MCee said:

I haven’t noticed fragrance sinking to the bottom. I will have to do some digging! I’m almost thinking to purchase tins with a wider diameter so I can double wick at this point. Not sure what else there is left to do. :( 

While double wicking a tin is tempting, it does come with its own set of troubles.  Tins conduct heat differently from glass and ceramic and are easy to critically overwick. Same can be said for glass 3” wide jars. The bottom half of a double wicked jar gets lava hot even when wicking conservatively. 

for Midwest, 3” wide x at least 3” tall can be coaxed into Generous HT with several different additives. I have successfully used as little as 1% additives in separate tests of polyboost 130, petroleum jelly, beeswax and different paraffins. I have also had excellent ht just by being patient with a nice long cure.  

if you want to double wick, choose a wider jar made of a different material, such as glass or ceramic for better results. 

the best luck I have had with Midwest is the same as with any other soy: choice of fragrance. Not all are going to perform well with soy. 

the next best is wick series.  Sometimes a premier, performs or eco I needed to hit the heat balance for difficult FO.