Soy Wax Candle Has Wrinkled Effect - Help!

Hi All,

I am making soy wax candles and I have this wrinkled / cracked effect on the top that I don't know how to get rid of! Whilst they are setting it almost looks like the tops are sweating and causing this effect. I heat the wax up to 185 degrees, add fragrance at 175(ish) and leave to cool until 135 degrees and pour. 

Do you have any suggestions as to why this is happening please? I have pictures but unsure how to submit onto this forum.

Thanks for your help in advance!

That is not abnormal with many commercial soy wax blends.  Various additives intended to hold more fragrance, adhere better to glass, etc. behave strangely.

i have found almost without exception, that soy wax needs to be poured when cooled to the cloudy stage. Sometimes they pour/set up best when cooled to nearly the congealing point. It depends on the brand of wax.  

When poured too warm, and cooled too slowly, grains form more randomly causing weird textures, sometimes allowing fragrance to seep out between the wax crystals. 

the orange peel texture in your photo may smooth out with a short heat gun treatment. 

• Like 1

Thank you for this reply, 

Can you please clarify what temp is best to let the wax cool to before pouring to stop this effect? I know you have stated to leave until the cloudy stage but I am new to candle making so having a temp would help.

Also, I don't have a heatgun is there anything else I can use? (like a hairdryer?)

Thank you.

Edited by Harry28

Without knowing which wax you are using, I can only give a general idea of temps that have worked for me with other soys.  Cloud point is in the 105*F range here.  It is important to slowly stir frequently when you are cooling the wax to distribute the heat and move those additives in the wax around as evenly as possible. 

I use a wide silicone spatula, others use paint sticks. Use what seems to work for you. 

a hair dryer can work, but it will blow a lot more air than heat, so the wax may splash out of your candle.  An embossing gun used for crafts can work also. Use what you have for now, and if you like the chandling craft, it will be a nifty tool to keep in your collection. Heat guns are used all the time to warm pouring pots, jars, tools, etc.  not sure what I would do without one. I buy cheapo from the local big box hardware store.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Harry,

I know I'm like a year late but did pouring at a cooler temp help? Or did you find a diff solution? I'm making wax melts and have wrinkles in the middle and I'm thinking it might be a pouring issue as well.

Thanks!