?about shipping orders

Gretchen

I've shipped small, personal orders, but for my wholesale accounts (so far) I've been delivering. Now that it looks like I'll be expanding out of driving/delivering range, I need to figure out how to ship effectivly and successfully; without damage! My tumblers are going to be an issue. They're wrapped in cello, tied at the top, and when I buy the glasses, they come in these fold-over six packs; not something I could turn around and use to ship in. Yup; tumblers will be a real issue. My larger candle is poured in an apothacary jar, whick come to me in cases with the heavy cris-cross dividers, so I can just repack the candles into those boxes. With those, would it be safe to just ship off in those boxes, or, would I need to pack that box into a larger box, with or without additional padding, to ship? (Am I making sense?)

Now for using a shipper, like UPS; they're here ALLOT to deliver! Do I set up some sort of account with them for pick-up? How's that work; anyone know? I've read a fwe shipping nightmares here as far as receiving supplies, but I'll bet they work both ways:grin2: ! I'd like to hear what any of you have to say on this topic!

Gretchen

Gretchen,

In order to ship more efficiently you'll want to look into Fedex, DHL or UPS for those shipments that are out of your range. You can set up an account with any one of them. It's very easy to do. I will say that you should do your shopping amongst all the big shippers. There is a difference in rates and service between all of them. Don't forget to look at the USPS too.

As far as shipping your product, you may want to consider packing your items with bubble wrap & packing peanuts. They're both light weight and can certainly protect your products. Whenever I send off candles to customers, I wrap all the candles in bubble wrap and then put them in a nice sturdy box with packing peanuts. I put enough peanuts in the box so there can be no movement within the box.

For free packing supplies, you may want to look and see if your area has a freecycle organization. Freecycle is a wonderful program that recycles items. It can be TV's, boxes, beds, packing materials....just about anything. The idea is to recycle good usable items. Check out www.freecycle.org Then from there see if your state has a program.