Basic Questions..

CranberryGirl

Thanks To CindyM who walked me thru my first batch of Cp..and GrumpyGirl, who Gave me advice when I asked..Now not wanting to be a pest to everyone! I have a few Basic questions...

Are people against using lard in soaps to sell?

What is super fatting???

What does water discount mean?

and last but not least..what does everyone Use to color Cp? And where can i get some..I live in new England Noo any suppliers close?

TIA!! I love looking and reading here..And Most of the time I don't know what to post! I got My first cp under my belt and I am very excited!!! I will post picts after the soap comes out of the mold and is cut!!

Thanks again Guys! Your My insperation!!!

Tara:yay:

Are people against using lard in soaps to sell? - Yes many do, as it makes a creamy bar, lasts longer, and is nice on the pocketbook.

What is super fatting??? Superfatting is the amount of free oils left in the soap after saponification is complete. If you have a 5% superfat, 95% of the oils have turned into soap leaving 5% free oils to moisturize your skin.

What does water discount mean? Water discount is using less water than required by the lye calculator to get a harder bar faster. I would never reccomend it when trying a new fo/eo, and honestly wouldn't recommend it until you've got quite a few batches under your belt, as it goes into trace quickly and doesn't give you a lot of working time for swirls and such.

and last but not least..what does everyone Use to color Cp? And where can i get some..I live in new England Noo any suppliers close? I use ultramarines, oxides, natural colorants, lab colors, and/or micas to color my soaps. Not sure about NE suppliers as I'm in the South.

HTH!

It's the whole thing... Like, if you used coconut, shea butter, pko, and lard in a batch, it would total 100% of your oils. You dump your lye water in, and it leaved 5% oils. In CP, you can't pick and choose what 5% you want it superfatted with, it's pretty much even.. a little coconut, a little shea, a little pko, and a little lard will be left.

Is that any better? If not, we'll think of another way to say it.. :)